Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Magazine spring questions

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    And on the subject of spring interchageability...

That same Star M30 with the fully functional mag using the wrong spring is about to get its recoil spring replaced with a CZ 75 spring. I just have to cut the CZ spring until it has the exact same compressed lenth as the original and then hopefully we're in business again... The actual wire is a little thicker and I suspect stiffer on the CZ but it fits over the recoil rod. So lets hold thumbs.
    Give us an update afterwards please.

User

Default Re: Magazine spring questions

Quote Originally Posted by MSW2 View Post
    Give us an update afterwards please.
    Feedback...
    The recoil spring was not the culprit causing extraction issues. The owner believed the spring might be worn but it turns out there was a ball of gunk behind the extractor that possibly prevented it from getting a good grip on the rim and causing all kinds of interesting but irritating malfunctions.

That being said: A Star Model 30 will work with a different modified spring. and I suppose many other guns will do the same.
    I made up a spring using a Star Model B spring, but I had to cut 10 coils off to get it to compress the same lenth as the original spring so that the slide will travel all the way back.
    I first compressed the original spring by putting it over a threaded rod and tightening a nut from each side so it was fily compresssed. It measured 26mm.
    And then I cut down the newer spring untill it would also compress to 26mm.
    It works perfectly. It feels a bit stiffer than the original spring but it ejects brass in a very tight pattern and the gun works.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2