Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Winchester 1300 broken weld

Hi guys,

I noticed on my shotgun one of the two welds on the action bar (not sure if that’s what it’s called) that goes by the forearm is broken, would it be recommended to have it welded again by a gunsmith or is it bound to break again?

I was planning on going to the range on Friday, should I not shoot the gun until it’s fixed?

If anyone can advise me, thank you!

User

Default Re: Winchester 1300 broken weld

Take it to a decent welder who can pre heat and stress relief it afterwards and then the smith can blue it again.
    But otherwise- why did the arm break?

User

I wouldn't shoot the shotty until it's been fixed, because the other action bar takes now double the stress than normal and unevenly so.

The action bar breaking is more or less normal wearing down of a pump action shotgun with lots of shots fired and is a big problem with old Winchesters, because the spare parts for them are nowadays like moonrocks. Some gunsmiths can fix this by welding the parts together.

User

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    I wouldn't shoot the shotty until it's been fixed, because the other action bar takes now double the stress than normal and unevenly so.

The action bar breaking is more or less normal wearing down of a pump action shotgun with lots of shots fired and is a big problem with old Winchesters, because the spare parts for them are nowadays like moonrocks. Some gunsmiths can fix this by welding the parts together.
    I might be wrong on this but isn't there a difference between maverick and mossberg shotties in that the one has a single action bar and the other has 2?

Obviously though this would mean it was engineered so and the single arm can take the stress on that model.

User

Yes, if you have only one bar, it has to be quite strong to cope with the stresses and bending.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    Take it to a decent welder who can pre heat and stress relief it afterwards and then the smith can blue it again.
    But otherwise- why did the arm break?
    Thank you, I don’t know anyone who welds, I’m not sure how where I would find someone who can lol

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    Yes, if you have only one bar, it has to be quite strong to cope with the stresses and bending.
    100% thank you, I’ll first have it sorted!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Trayton View Post
    I might be wrong on this but isn't there a difference between maverick and mossberg shotties in that the one has a single action bar and the other has 2?

Obviously though this would mean it was engineered so and the single arm can take the stress on that model.
    The early Mavericks had only one bar. Modern Mavericks ones have two.

User

Default Winchester 1300 broken weld

Quote Originally Posted by Th93 View Post
    Hi guys,

I noticed on my shotgun one of the two welds on the action bar (not sure if that’s what it’s called) that goes by the forearm is broken, would it be recommended to have it welded again by a gunsmith or is it bound to break again?

I was planning on going to the range on Friday, should I not shoot the gun until it’s fixed?

If anyone can advise me, thank you!
    Is the broken part mild steel or Aluminium? I have a similar situation, but think it’s aluminium so need aluminium welding done.

You can just see the bulge where is come lose from the ejection port at the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Is the broken part mild steel or Aluminium? I have a similar situation, but think it’s aluminium so need aluminium welding done.

You can just see the bulge where is come lose from the ejection port at the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You can check with a magnet or scratch it with a sharp object.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast