Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Best 12” AR available locally for under 40k

Quote Originally Posted by phant1m View Post
    I wouldn't go with a sai. Rather a sig 11.5 or maybe get a longer smith and chop it? Or top end of your budget maybe pickup a BCM 14.5
    Cutting down an AR15 barrel isn't really the best approach. As the barrel length increases on an AR (well most Gas Operated Semi Auto Rifles) the gas port size increases.

So a 16 inch cut down to 12 inch is going to be silly over gassed, and although you can use an adjustable gas block, not everyone wants to "tinker".

Quote Originally Posted by Stevin View Post
    Cutting down an AR15 barrel isn't really the best approach. As the barrel length increases on an AR (well most Gas Operated Semi Auto Rifles) the gas block size increases.

So a 16 inch cut down to 12 inch is going to be silly over gassed, and although you can use an adjustable gas block, not everyone wants to "tinker".
    Incorrect.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    Incorrect.
    Yes. The 'gassing' of an AR is a much more complicated formula than that, not forgetting the dwell time, which is more important factor than 'gassing'. But maybe this isn't a topic for this thread.

Btw, about SAI .223 YouTube video: I've never even heard of an M4 BCG even if I thought I was some sort of an AR expert...

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    Incorrect.
    Agreed, I was incorrect. Not sure what I'm thinking, guess it's been a long week.

The overall length of the gas port from the muzzle, and subsequent dwell time required is the more important to the determining gas port size.
    So cutting down a 16" barrel to 12" that has a carbine gas system would leave you probably needing to open up the gas port.
    Last edited by Stevin; 15-04-2023 at 21:43. Reason: Typos

User

Quote Originally Posted by pbuitendag View Post
    If I may ask, why a 12" specifically?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Based on advice I’ve received from guys with real combat experience - unlike myself. And active within the past 10 years, so not Vietnam war vets advising me :’)

User

If I may, it all depends in which kind of situations are you expecting to be using the weapon in real combat. There's no one single answer to a question 'which configuration is the best'.

User

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    I don't know about Kingsman's motives, but if you want a 'sub machine gun' length AR, I'd go with minimum of 12" barrel. The reliability compared to a 10.5" is hugely better and even compared with an 11.5". Yes, even the 0.5" does matter. My 12" and 11.9" ARs are way more reliable than my friends 11.5" Sig.
    Precisely what I’ve been advised. The guys actually have told me to go piston instead of DI but unfortunately my pocket doesn’t allow for that. I’m leaning towards either the SAI 2.0 (mixed feelings as I’ve heard so many mixed reviews from different people about their experiences there)
    Truvelo (which I really like due to great reviews and quality overall)
    Musgrave (don’t know too much here, but trying to find out more. Apparently barrels manufactured by truvelo ?)

Like I said, any advice is greatly appreciated

User

Who you going to war against?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Stevin View Post
    Who you going to war against?
    This is a very good question. Home defence in urban area? Bandit control in a farm? Need a rifle for your bakkie? A 12" AR isn't your jack of all trades, more like a special tool for special purpose. This is why I have ARs with 11.9", 12", 14.5", 16", 18", two with 20" and 24" barrels. Yes, I'm that kind of crazy, but if I'd have to get me just one AR, it would probably be with a 14.5" barrel. A compromise between different scenarios. But I really like my 11.9" one...

Why 11.9"? Because by the Finnish law, the shortest barrel for a rifle must be over 300mm long and I wanted as short barrel as possible with a little margin for sloppy cops, I ended up with a barrel length 303mm / 11.929".

Edit: and if you just want an AR, just get the one you want to have with which ever barrel configuration pleases you. We only have one life and why not act accordingly ...besides, if you need to use your AR in real action, the bad guys don't really care with which kind of an AR you saved you butt.

User

@Kingsman, there's a few very slightly used AR's as well available on the S&O market place, there's also a Colt LE6920 with a 16-inch barrel in the for sale thread as well, unfortunately not many options available for your budget and 12-inch barrel length.

PS: But take the Truvelo TRV Carbine in 14.5 and then you review it, so that one day I know if it's worth it when I have the funds available for a real caliber, and not just my 15-22 ;)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast