Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Best 12” AR available locally for under 40k

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    This is a very good question. Home defence in urban area? Bandit control in a farm? Need a rifle for your bakkie? A 12" AR isn't your jack of all trades, more like a special tool for special purpose. This is why I have ARs with 11.9", 12", 14.5", 16", 18", two with 20" and 24" barrels. Yes, I'm that kind of crazy, but if I'd have to get me just one AR, it would probably be with a 14.5" barrel. A compromise between different scenarios. But I really like my 11.9" one...

Why 11.9"? Because by the Finnish law, the shortest barrel for a rifle must be over 300mm long and I wanted as short barrel as possible with a little margin for sloppy cops, I ended up with a barrel length 303mm / 11.929".

Edit: and if you just want an AR, just get the one you want to have with which ever barrel configuration pleases you. We only have one life and why not act accordingly ...besides, if you need to use your AR in real action, the bad guys don't really care with which kind of an AR you saved you butt.
    All I will say is SA law requires us to motivate our license for the intended purpose and section of the FCA, although usage allows for any lawful purpose.

You're not that mad. Nothing is a jack of all trades. I currently have 3 AR15's 10.3, 16, and 20... my difference is mine are all in calibres that are best suited to those barrels lengths (kinda). 300blk, 5.56 and 6mm ARC.
    I do have another 3 x builds being planned .22LR fulltime suppressed, folding stock, 9mm P, and a 300blk 7" for subs fulltime suppressed , and a x39 AK build has just finished the planning stages, but I digress...

User

I like the way you think, sir.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    They leave the factory with one, but a sacred armourer removes them after a few days...
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

An interesting observation about the Truvelo's... which seem to be of a VERY good build quality, BTW, and which the combat rifle guys are now praising for exceptional long range (OK, 400m) accuracy...

They have M4 BCGs! I do like me a F/A capable bolt... it also promises more positive chambering and softer recoil.
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    An interesting observation about the Truvelo's... which seem to be of a VERY good build quality, BTW, and which the combat rifle guys are now praising for exceptional long range (OK, 400m) accuracy...

They have M4 BCGs! I do like me a F/A capable bolt... it also promises more positive chambering and softer recoil.
    Any current manufacturer worth their salt should be supplying M16 / Select Fire Profile BCG's. It just makes sense in terms of Economy of Scale, as no one really uses anything but the Mil Spec profile bolt in their run of the mill guns, there are exceptions but those are usually for sport guns or full time suppressed guns.
    Last edited by Stevin; 17-04-2023 at 09:22. Reason: Typos

Quote Originally Posted by Stevin View Post
    Any current manufacturer worth their salt should be supplying M16 / Select Fire Profile BCG's. It just makes sense in terms of Economy of Scale, as no one really uses anything but the Mil Spec profile bolt in their run of the mill guns, there are exceptions but those are usually for sport guns or full time suppressed guns.
    Not the bolt... the bolt carrier!
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Not the bolt... the bolt carrier!
    Eh, I said select fire BCG, and then went on to mention the actual bolt profile.

I would imagine with Truvelo you could specify the proper gas port as in emulate Colt. I would trust the guys at Truvelo.

User

I can echo this sentiment, plus they're willing to do some customization for a fee. If my emigration falls through I can see a 14.5" Hanson barrel profile in my future from them.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    I would imagine with Truvelo you could specify the proper gas port as in emulate Colt. I would trust the guys at Truvelo.
    Other than the ADP project that they took over at one point I have never seen a Truvelo firearm that I didn't like a lot.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast