User

Default Vektor Sport Finish

Can any of you that are knowledgeable with Vektor firearms confirm what the frame and slide finish is on this Vektor Sport gun. To me, it appears to be a stainless steel slide and an anodized aluminum frame. Some have believed it to be nickel plating, but it's clearly visible the finishes are different on the slide and frame. Thanks in advance for your information.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User

Default Re: Vektor Sport Finish

The frame is annodised. Annodising can be done in any colour imaginable at a pride parade. The purpose is not actually to apply a colour to alluminuim but to provide a hard surface finish (That is actually a surface conversion process)

The slide and comp are another story. In the picture provided these have a "white" appearance (Or a blueish tinge if you want) In all likelyhood that is industrial hard chrome.

Nickel plating will almost always have a straw colour / very faint goldish tinge. That is how you tell the two apart. Nickel will also feel much more slippery than a hard chrome surface when dragging / rubbing your finger over it.

I have seen Vektor SP1 / 2's with nickel and others with chrome finishes on the steel parts. They used both processes. To my knowledge Vektor never made anything in stainless. But then again I have physically held an early Z88 with a Hard chrome slide and barrel and Vektor / LIW also never made a Z88 like that...officially.

User

So I checked my "Firearms Developed and Manufactured in Southern Africa" reference book, and there is a section on your pistol:

SP1 NT (Nickel, Tuned) Pistol

Electroless nickel-plated slide and compensator.
    Chemically blackened barrel, hammer and controls.
    Clear anodised aluminium frame.

User

It is a very pretty pistol. I would have preferred if the slide was stainless though. I'm always a bit paranoid that the plating will come off.