Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock cleaning

Default Glock cleaning

I need pointers on cleaning my G27 (gen1). Ive been carrying it daily for 15 years. It gets a clean after every shoot and now and then in between (not often enough I'll admit). The trouble is after years of carry it needs more than just an average clean.
    Glock agents apparently do a complete strip down and service for R1500. Various parts are replaced and it comes back as good as new. This sounds like a good option but regardless I need some pointers.
    Ive been told boiling water is good - strip and leave in for 5 minutes, dry and reassemble with lube. Petrol works as well.
    Ideally I need to strip it completely.
    I'd appreciate your tips and tricks. What products do you use ?
    Does anyone have a G27 manual showing how to strip completely ?

Default Re: Glock cleaning

I think there are plenty of youtube vids showing how to detail strip.

I use brake/carb cleaner to strip off old lube and other crap.

Relube with Slip/TW25B.

You really should be relubing every week.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Chemicals (petrol) are not good for plastic....

even though there are those that say Brake Cleaner is OK authoritative people like Pat Rogers say no - brake cleaner is not as innocent as some make it out to be.

Use good quality aerosol cleaner like Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber (Polymer Safe specified) or Slip2000 725 Cleaner/Degreaser which is synthetic and bio degradable.

I would never subject a 9k firearm to petroleum cleaners, it is just not worth it imo.

User

Hey, its tupperware, just pop it into the dishwasher together with grandma's noritake set.

On a more serious note, I use KleenBore Gunkout to clear all the crap that builds up from firing but if i run out I use benzine, after thorough cleaning I relube with TW25B or Slip2000 EWL.

Very important practise I got taught, is to fully degrease your firearm before switching between gun lubricants for the different lubricants could have a reaction with each other and form some nasty gunk (in some cases resin) in your firearm.

Some food for thought.
    Even though a lot of people say that brake cleaner, petrol, benzine etc is not good for your gun (I don't have lab reports/proof so I cant comment for myself) they dont ever mention not to use lubricants containing petrolium distillates. Most lubricants contain petrolium distillates, (Slip2000 and TW25B does'nt ) so while you should'nt scrub your gun down with the evil chemicals, it's fine to lube your gun with it. Worst of all, the lube gets applied regularly and is left on the firearm untill its fully degreased.

JMHO I always try to use the right tool for the job on hand as far as possible ie: firearm cleaning products for firearm cleaning etc. Sure you can double duty some tools, its just that the one designed specifically for one task just tend to give better results than the double duty one.

I will watch Youtube but can you guys describe your cleaning procedure - does it go beyond removing the slide, barrel and spring, cleaning and reassemble ?
    Which shops sell products mentioned ? Southern Arms is near me.

Quote Originally Posted by BGL View Post
    I will watch Youtube but can you guys describe your cleaning procedure - does it go beyond removing the slide, barrel and spring, cleaning and reassemble ?
    Which shops sell products mentioned ? Southern Arms is near me.
    My carry gun gets detail stripped once a month. All pins out, all removable parts out. Field stripped and relubed once a week.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

I'm in the process of setting up a 'cleaning station' as part of the reloading club (complete with complimentary Slip products - for use on the premises ONLY... no decanting into your own containers!).

Maybe T could come do a demo someday for a flock of Glockers?
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

With the aerosol or Slip 725 you can degrease/clean without going further than field stripping. The degreaser dissolves dirt and gunk and let it flow out of the receiver and slide and small spaces. It dries naturally and then you can apply your lube (take note "lube" not spray oil you buy at Macro).

The Gun Scrubber or similar is available form most guns shops afaik. The importers are Nic Yale.

The Slip products are imported by www.hailstormza.com and they will have 725 stock by the end of next week (if the customs gods are in a good mood).

We are also in the process of importing a user rechargeable pressure spray which the user can fill with degrease like 725 and pressurize with a normal compressor - this gives aerosol pressure application to your fave degreaser without having to pay for aerosol cleaners and paying for a new pressurised can every time.

Once they are here and we have tested them we will report on Gunsite iro use and applications.

i read some then moved on to mine, i have a Glock 27 and detail strip it to its last spring and so on, i take apart even the firing pin assembly. I use a basin full of very warm, hottish water, a toothbrush and good old soap. i scrub scrub scrub, until every part even the slide is clean, then i transfer the parts get clean water and rinse then redo another time, then let cold water run over the parts using the toothbrush to ensure no soap residue is left over, then i use a towel and a hair dryer to dry completely, thereafter i use gun oil, whatever rocks your boat, to lube the gun and wipe off any excess oil, but making sure to cover every part totally. then i reassemble and bobs your uncle... Water can not harm it is you dry thoroughly and thereafter give a good coat of protective oil then wipe off, that my take and it works like a charm, i too am really skeptic on using all these weird and wonderful chemical solvents to touch my polymer, and i know dove soap is as soft on skin as possible, hahahaha...

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    The Slip products are imported by www.hailstormza.com and they will have 725 stock by the end of next week (if the customs gods are in a good mood).

We are also in the process of importing a user rechargeable pressure spray which the user can fill with degrease like 725 and pressurize with a normal compressor - this gives aerosol pressure application to your fave degreaser without having to pay for aerosol cleaners and paying for a new pressurised can every time.

Once they are here and we have tested them we will report on Gunsite iro use and applications.
    Interesting, because I am in the process of putting a parts washer (recirculating solvent) into the cleaning station. I was going to use soluble engine cleaner.

And I have a large compressor permanently plumbed in for plentyu of blow-waving...
    Last edited by Paul; 21-10-2010 at 13:30.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast