Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Gunshop losing weapons

Quote Originally Posted by curious george View Post
    Based on the info I have I would heed Paul's advice. (Dis beide morsig en modderig!)
    I have no idea what is going on there but I think people should heed your advice and that from Paul.
    Like with lots of other issues. Let the facts come in first. Especially firearms related that could do damage to us on here. I remember saying this about a matter involving an association that we all know and the issues they had a while back ..

"So dealers must have their paperwork in order". I have been dealing with the renewal of one of my handguns. I was told that it is registered on the CFR system to someone else (actually it is a bit more complicated than that).

It turned out that the other "owner" sold it over 30 years ago. Since then it has been through two dealers and another individual between dealers! Fortunately I was able to trace the "owner", who still had his cancelled licence, and the second dealer had all his records from when he received it in 1909. So all is well in the end. Perhaps the SAPS should first put their house in order?

Peter

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by High Power View Post
    "So dealers must have their paperwork in order". I have been dealing with the renewal of one of my handguns. I was told that it is registered on the CFR system to someone else (actually it is a bit more complicated than that).

It turned out that the other "owner" sold it over 30 years ago. Since then it has been through two dealers and another individual between dealers! Fortunately I was able to trace the "owner", who still had his cancelled licence, and the second dealer had all his records from when he received it in 1909. So all is well in the end. Perhaps the SAPS should first put their house in order?

Peter
    Peter, I have a whole file of these.

SAPS arrives to conduct an inspection armed with an arbitrary list (of firearms supposedly on my register; some are, some have been sold and licensed out long ago, some have NEVER been on my name, some have mysteriously morphed from .45ACP to 9mmP???). We painstakingly work our way through every single firearm in my vault and safes. SAPS then demands that I explain the 'missing' firearms... and also produce 'gunsmith reports' for the firearms that they have altered the calibers on. I produce a report dealing with each substantive 'issue' (many issues have been dealt with in several previous years), but firearms SAPS has deposited on my list, and firearms where they have altered their records I obviously cannot deal with. I tell them so.

I was with my DFO on Monday. He tells me they are still sitting with my reportback which they cannot file because of the 'issues'. I ask him what they are planning to do about it. He shrugs. The DFO is not willing to pass my response back up the heirarchy. I have my renewed dealers license and cannot/will not pander to CFR any further. Stalemate.

In the meantime I gather evidence of the CFR's inability to perform their administrative function pending an application to have the Registry removed from SAPS's bearhug embrace.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Hi Paul. Yes. I am well aware of the multtude of such issues that you dealers go through. My post was intended for those on GS who are not so well informed.

Anyway, add mine to your list.

Peter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2