User

Default Size of Hunting Farms.

I was paging through farms/game farms around South Africa yesterday.

What was hugely interesting to me - being from the Western Cape I normally hunt in the Eastern Cape or the Northern Cape where it takes 7 to 9 hours to drive to the farm. In the above areas a smallish farm is 2000 hectares while some are 10000 hectares (and even bigger). When discussing fences/borders with the farmer he just says don't worry, you can walk and climb over fences and keep going - you will still be on our farm. Usually the farmer will drop two hunters off with a guide/tracker in one part of the farm and then take the other two hunters to another part of the farm. The distance is so great you struggle/can't hear a gunshot when one of the teams shoots.

Yesterday I noted that many farms who offer hunting in Gauteng and surrounds are on farms that are smaller, say under 80 hectares and within 1 hour travelling time. Parts of me was jealous with the availability up there but in my simple brain I can't workout/imagine how big 40 hectares is, and how it works (walk and stalk, or "voorsit").

The farms, grazing, fencing, accommodation etc all seem top notch.
    And please note there is no disrespect in my message (mine is bigger than yours).

User

Default Re: Size of Hunting Farms.

I'm guessing quite a few of them will cater to the 'shooting from the comfort of the bakkie's hunting frame' trade.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Courtcase View Post

Parts of me was jealous with the availability up there but in my simple brain I can't workout/imagine how big 40 hectares is, and how it works (walk and stalk, or "voorsit").
    It will depend on the shape of the farm but 40 hectares can, as an example, be 1km x 400m or 500mx800m.

Terrain and vegetation makes a huge difference.

User

I am convinced that it is not legal to hunt on an area limited to 40ha?
    It would not be a fair chase, it seems to be a "get rich quick farmer"....my 2 c worth.

User

While you can certainly hunt on any piece of land, big or small, one should make very sure of what kind of experience you are looking for.

Hunting bushpig on a densely wooded 40 Ha plot may just be a load of fun and worth doing more than once, while hunting any plains game on an open, flat 40 Ha plot sounds somewhat ridiculous to me.

When the smarties-coloured game craze began, a lot of smallholders sold their 3 cows and invested in a herd of game animals with funny colour variations, hoping to get rich quick in the process. I bet a lot of these animals are now being offered to local biltong hunters at very decent prices. These will obviously have to be hunted (more likely just shot) where they are, being a small piece of land.

Make very sure you know what you are paying for.

User

Smallest I would consider in the bushveld is about 300 hectares for a pair of walk and stalk hunters, with careful consideration of where each person goes. Normally 2 or 3 of us go to a 1200 hectare farm against the Limpopo river. On this same farm, sometimes we need to work together to harvest a specific animal in a 500 hectare camp. No easy task and it requires significant effort to achieve success.

Shooting an animal on a 40 hectare “farm” isn’t high on my to-do list.

This year we will hunt in the Eastern Cape again, also on a farm we have hunted before. From turning into the gate at the farmers house, the distance to the accommodation is about 8km into the farm and extends a vast distance beyond. I can’t recall the size of the farm, but their concept of space is something else. Looking foward!

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

And so it happened that a client had 3 kudu cows jumping into his fenced of cultivated lands and cause damage. This fenced off area is about 100 ha, with a still natural bush area of about 15 ha that was not cleared. The kudu went there during the day and at night roamed the lands. He gave me a cow for a biltong if I would shoot and slaughter it myself. I spend a lovely mornings hunting om that 15 ha without getting a chance for a shot. Late afternoon the opportunity came and a headshot made my biltong available. A really enjoyable hunt for a whole day on 15 ha bush.

On my own farm there are a few Blesbuck that arrived between the cattle. Not game fenced, but 60 ha. To drive there and plink them off will be the same as shooting tins on an ants heap.

The type of hunt will definitely influence the size needed to call it hunting.

I sometimes hunt for 4-6 hours in a 5 ha patch of maize for bushpig before having success. (Extreme example, I know.)

But, in general, when going for a walk and stalk hunt, I do prefer 300+ hectares. Shooting animals in colour variant ex-breeding camps is not hunting farm material in my book.

User

There are different legislations for different sizes as per each province. WRT size an example in the EC was 400ha and above and you could apply for a CAE ( Certificate of Adequate Enclosure). Smaller and you applied for a captivity permit. This allowed you to introduce non endemic species as well as the full management of them. Open low fenced land would abide to the seasonal provincial legislation.

How you hunt/ shoot it is really up to you and what you want to achieve or take out of the experience.

Smallest farm I have hunted here is 400Ha and biggest between 5,000 and 8,000 - really preferred the larger farms as you're further away from human establishment and it just seems to feel "right".