Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User

Default Re: Changing a Rifle License to a Handgun License

It's the gunsmithing without the requisite paperwork that's the offense, not the length change per se.

Probably, but why?
    From a (semi) logical perspective, I can only see two concerns. The first is that cutting the barrel would allow one to make a weapon more concealable. But this doesn't really make sense for two reasons: firstly there is no prohibition against handguns irrespective of caliber (at least within limits also held for rifles) and secondly we are virtually legally obliged to conceal our handguns (i know the law says cover rather than conceal, but it also doesn't prevent concealed carry).

The more likely concern is "cloning", IE cutting a long enough piece off to make a new firearm from. But the only reason for this would be to make an un-licenced firearm, which is already illegal anyway?

The whole thing doesn't make any sense to me.

User

I think you miss the point. It's the act of performing 'gunsmithing' without the necessary competence and licensing or whatever that constitutes the offense. The prohibition against you doing gunsmithing isn't specifically about messing with a barrel. You can legally take your rifle to a gunsmith and have them lop off a bit of the barrel but you aren't allowed to do that and whatever else constitutes gunsmithing yourself.

The last thing the FCA appeared to be intended to do was make sense.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    I think you miss the point. It's the act of performing 'gunsmithing' without the necessary competence and licensing or whatever that constitutes the offense. The prohibition against you doing gunsmithing isn't specifically about messing with a barrel. You can legally take your rifle to a gunsmith and have them lop off a bit of the barrel but you aren't allowed to do that and whatever else constitutes gunsmithing yourself.
    I'm 100% wrong about the bolded part. Shortening a barrel is explicitly prohibited by 59 c of the FCA for amateur gun plumbers as are a few other things. Hadn't looked at that section of the FCA or the 2003 amendment for quite some time and made some stuff up.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4