Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Question Suppressor for .416 Rigby

Good day everyone

I am look to put a suppressor on a .416 Rigby. I have looked at the GunWarrior Large as it is the only one I could find that is large enough.

Are there any other options that I need to consider?

Also, where in PTA would be good place to have the rifle modified to get the suppressor fitted?

Thanks

User

Default Re: Suppressor for .416 Rigby

CMG Recoil Reaper make one for the 416.
    It is very effective
    A roaring Lion kills no game

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dukren View Post
    Good day everyone

I am look to put a suppressor on a .416 Rigby. I have looked at the GunWarrior Large as it is the only one I could find that is large enough.

Also, where in PTA would be good place to have the rifle modified to get the suppressor fitted?

Thanks
    Try Mojet Accugun

User

Sustac should also be able to help with the silencer.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by Dukren View Post
    Good day everyone

Thanks
    Arms CC in Waterkloof can do this for you
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Thanks for the info everyone

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Dukren, I am just curious. Why a suppressor on a .416 Rigby? Recoil, ears, both or just because you want to? Or just for range work? On the big guns suppressors are seldomly seen by myself as they are normally short, walk and stalk in brush and follow up work with maybe some snap shooting rifles. Now you are considering one and over the last 3 weeks 2 other hunters I know have been talking about suppressing a .458 Lott and the other a .416 Rem.

They are looking at the option for range work to reduce recoil. Earmuffs and plugs on the range sort out the ear protection.

I am myself more and more into protecting my ears. Lately I carry earmuffs or plugs with me in the field and before shooting, if time permits, first sort out my ear protection.

User

Adoons, mostly it is for recoil reduction, the ears bit is just a bonus.

The rifle is owned by a family member that has just gone through chemo round 3. Needless to say, that has a rather detrimental effect on general physical capability, especially to take the recoil form a .416. So instead of having the rifle becoming a safe queen, the idea of suppressing it to reduce the recoil came up.
    Now I am looking at options to get this done.

As to your point regarding the general application for these type of rifles, I agree. However, in this case the gun will be relegated to a range gun for the time being. The suppressor can always be removed and with a simple thread cap, the rifle can be brought back to a dangerous game rifle configuration as it is now.

At least that is my thinking.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Sorry to hear about the family going through chemo. A suppressor will reduce recoil. A rifle is a tool in my book. If needs to be modified to be able to keep on using it, go for it.

If recoil reduction is what you are after get one with an internal brake and muzzle break. Have a look then at Gun warrior as an option also. Speak to Johan and ask and explain. They make their Large line up to .458, but a .416 Rigby has huge case volume. Maybe it should be made with an extra bit of internal volume, but they can do that for you and normally will not cost you an arm and leg.

Thread caps - Those tiny expensive little rings that like to get lost....

User

A big negative (as far as dangerous game usage goes) of suppressing a big bore is the requirement to remove the front sight. Unless the sight is refitted further along the barrel, the gun is now a scope-only proposition, which is not always ideal for DG follow-up.
    I understand the position of the owner recovering from medical treatment (and I trust this continues to go well!) and being unlikely to undertake DG hunts just yet. My point is more to address why relatively few big bores are suppressed.
    I do think it makes sense to make the rifle usable, so I assuming the 416 in question is more likely a CZ than an original Rigby, there's no real harm done in threading the barrel. If there was a desire in future to return the rifle to an unthreaded form, the last inch of the barrel could be trimmed off and recrowned and have the front sight refitted. Most of these rifles have 24" or longer barrels which is really unnecessary and there will be no meaningful loss in performance with a 22 or 23" barrel.

My final 2c, if the silencer is only really going to be used on the range, then you could consider a heavier, bulkier and cheaper silencer which will probably do a better job of moderating recoil. Lightweight, more efficient silencer designs (like Freyr & Devik or the various titanium options) are generally much more expensive than the simple, heavy steel ones.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast