Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Satellite Phones or alternative comms

Since we no longer have landlines and eskom is on one leg, what are the chances of communicating via cell phone towers should eskom's second leg buckle? I would assume that cell phone towers will be non operational as they run off electricity. Has anyone looked at alternatives such as satellite phones etc? What the thoughts and advice?

Default Re: Satellite Phones or alternative comms

Lots of farmers and community watch guys are still using Two Way Radios to communicate in their areas.
    Might see the resurrection of CB Radios in SA soon.

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by bluefronted View Post
    Lots of farmers and community watch guys are still using Two Way Radios to communicate in their areas.
    Might see the resurrection of CB Radios in SA soon.

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk
    Really showed their worth during riots as cell towers went out each morning at 5am exactly.

Only issue is back up power supply to keep batteries going. Regardless of your chosen option, if you have not a power backup solution , you have not communication.

As a farmer, we have a pretty robust vhf radio system set up with a repeater. This enables the whole community to be able to communicate. It can reach out reliably20 or 30km. Beyond that you need to be line of site or on high ground.

The problem is communicating outside of that 30km bubble. Although many farming/ rural areas can communicate amongst themselves within their own bubble. It's not easy for different areas to be able to communicate with other areas. If that makes sense. This is partly due to different system setups and different frequency programming. I suspect sat phones may be the best for longer distances?

Just my 2c

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

User

If you can maintain a reliable internet connection then comms via platforms like WhatsApp/Signal/Telegram is quite reliable. Starlink is becoming operational so more reliable internet in remote areas should be available in the near future.

In the suburbs we've jokes that our cellphones have effectively become landlines again, just running through fibre internet. in my house I've only got reliable cell signal at one relatively inconvenient spot, but good WiFi throughout the house.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    If you can maintain a reliable internet connection then comms via platforms like WhatsApp/Signal/Telegram is quite reliable. Starlink is becoming operational so more reliable internet in remote areas should be available in the near future.

In the suburbs we've jokes that our cellphones have effectively become landlines again, just running through fibre internet. in my house I've only got reliable cell signal at one relatively inconvenient spot, but good WiFi throughout the house.
    Who provides Starlink in SA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Grobbie View Post
    Who provides Starlink in SA?

I haven't even looked at possible providers but Im sure it will only be a matter of time?

User

Quote Originally Posted by ktmfourstroke View Post
    As a farmer, we have a pretty robust vhf radio system set up with a repeater. This enables the whole community to be able to communicate. It can reach out reliably20 or 30km. Beyond that you need to be line of site or on high ground.

The problem is communicating outside of that 30km bubble. Although many farming/ rural areas can communicate amongst themselves within their own bubble. It's not easy for different areas to be able to communicate with other areas. If that makes sense. This is partly due to different system setups and different frequency programming. I suspect sat phones may be the best for longer distances?

Just my 2c

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
    Even with that radius we have had some serious problems with hills being in the way with our handhelds not being powerful enough to transmit to the repeaters.

Not ideal when following suspects on foot.

We also have a repeater for handhelds which runs pretty smooth in our area, problem is that it's only for responders/crime fighters.

I'm talking more about the options for communicating with family members who might not be living close enough to check up on them over a walkie talkie.

User

Imagine, 1950s style in person communication in the pending apocalypse, the sweet sounds of the birds chirping, dogs barking and SSG’s being racked, we dont have to imagine for much longer….

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast