Thread: Leupold CDS-ZL

User

Default Leupold CDS-ZL

I am seriously thinking of replacing my scopes on my .270 win and .300 win mag with Leupold VX-3HD 3.5-10x40 CDS-ZL Duplex. I currently have a VX3 3.5-10X40 on the .270 and a Vortex Viper 2.5-10 x 44 on the .300

Basically, I would like to have the ability to "dial out" to about 350 meters quickly. The "hold-over" method works but it isn't ideal. On my .300 I have a Vortex BDS dial that works but it also isn't ideal as often you change the magnification and forget what magnification you're on.

I primarily hunt in the Grahamstown & Adeliade areas and shots range from about 50 meters out to 350 meters. However ideally, I try and keep all shots under 250 meters but often you need to get out to 300 plus meters.

Does anyone have any comments if the CDS-ZL system is worth pursuing. I would get a custom dial made for my ammunition.

Default Re: Leupold CDS-ZL

I have a VX-3 HD 3.5-10x40 (on a .30-'06) and a VX-6 3-18x44 on a 6.5 Creedmoor) with ZL dials. It works really well, allowing you to dial accurately when needed but with the turret securely locked when you want it to stay locked.

Both scopes are on working rifles that see, almost, daily use on the reserve. Both scopes are robust and reliable. Tracking is perfect on both. I don't have custom dials, I just memorise the amount I have to dial for distances out to 400m.

Default Re: Leupold CDS-ZL

Shooting out to 350 I way prefer the B&C reticle (or similar). Dialling comes into its own at longer ranges. Also, while I like the VX3 line of scopes, its not my first choice for a reliable, robust dialling system. I have the CDS-ZL and it works fine, but for hunting I prefer the B&C's simplcity. Its also much faster to use in the field, IMO.