Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Bug-out or Not

User

Default Re: Bug-out or Not

Quote Originally Posted by ady View Post
    Then there are those firearm owners who say they will just go take what they need from those that are unarmed. They live in a fools paradise.

These people are actually a danger to themselves and those around them, but to ignorant or stupid to realize it.
    And then I have a friend who does not have a weapon but will take one from someone. Because he was in the army mos...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Trundle View Post
    Your comment is full of truth. This is probably the crux of the matter, and probably the single thing that worries me the most.
    The problem with you current location is that you are squashed in between a number of possible threats. So if you stay it could be a matter of having the right people there but with the odds stacked very much against you because of location.

User

Quote Originally Posted by ady View Post
    These people are actually a danger to themselves and those around them, but to ignorant or stupid to realize it.
    ^ This. Doesn't matter how many tours of duty you've done in Call of Duty nor how much prepper lingo you have picked up in hours of yoochoobery when for example, you've had your second flat and you don't know how to repair a tyre. I had the displeasure of being in a vehicle 80km from the nearest town with just such a windbag larper. The moment the second tyre was holed and things went from theoretical to practical he was as useful to have around as used toilet paper *not to mention, about as appealing. Having a bunch of high speed gear and a plan is good but it's utterly useless unless you have some real world skills and experience. Amongst urban people nowadays those are increasingly rare and will be no less crucial in any sort of disaster scenario that persists for more than a week or so.*

User

Slightly off topic, couple of weeks ago, got home, across from my garage is a Polo on the pavement with 5 young men, aged between 17 and 22 (guessing).

They could not change the tyre on the car, no idea where the jack should go, what is the special nut needed to loosen the first security nut, and so forth.

So after about 20 odd minutes of watching my wife forced me out the door to go help them.

In the end, this was a very sad scenario that young men of that age and 5 of them struggled to change a tyre.

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    ^ This. Doesn't matter how many tours of duty you've done in Call of Duty nor how much prepper lingo you have picked up in hours of yoochoobery when for example, you've had your second flat and you don't know how to repair a tyre. I had the displeasure of being in a vehicle 80km from the nearest town with just such a windbag larper. The moment the second tyre was holed and things went from theoretical to practical he was as useful to have around as used toilet paper *not to mention, about as appealing. Having a bunch of high speed gear and a plan is good but it's utterly useless unless you have some real world skills and experience. Amongst urban people nowadays those are increasingly rare and will be no less crucial in any sort of disaster scenario that persists for more than a week or so.*

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Bundu Ric View Post
    So after about 20 odd minutes of watching my wife forced me out the door to go help them.
    Weren't you too bloated from all the beer an popcorn by then?
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

I was but luckily the double garage did accommodate my exit to go help.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Weren't you too bloated from all the beer an popcorn by then?

User

A friend of mine has a .44 magnum as does her partner, logic is that with the .44 it doesn't matter where you hit somebody, they are dead. All righty, I think it may not work like that.

That said, trying to envisage what permutation of mayhem may unfold is perplexing. Planning equally so, even rural areas will have some competition to varying degrees and I don't know how many can cope with that for an extended period.

Most of the workers in any city come from a place which is not the city, so I would expect some competition even in the rural areas, unless you are really fortunate to know of a really out of the way refuge which is sustainable the rest is just a guessing game.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3