Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Convicted drug dealer Glenn Agliotti dies at Johannesburg hospital, police confirm

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    Your info on Selebi is incomplete. I served as a cop at Brooklyn and I regularly had coffee with the piece of shit at uncle Fauzi's in Hatfield.

Before he became commisioner his metalic brown BMW 540iM was confiscated (before any of us new who Jackie Selebi was) after a call from BMW Menlyn where he took it to be serviced. They discovered the chassis numbers etc had been tampered with. Dear old Jackie was so honest he shouted at detective captain that he bought the car from a place known as a "chop-shop" and that the Police are not going to do Fuck All about it. A week later the car was handed back to him...

He also ran a network of drug dealers all over the east of Pretoria. He would find out where petty drug (Dagga) dealers operated from and the directly call the captain in charge of Brooklyn CPU to have them removed / arrested / planted with drugs if they didnt have any and then once they were gone his own connections would take over that corner and start selling hard drugs like cocaine, herroine, hashish, etc. And woe betide the cop that tried arresting those...
    A lifetime ago, I clerked for the law firm that represented Selebi in his criminal defense, so what little I know of him as a person is based on my (admittedly very brief) interactions with him. This was after he had already been convicted, but before his final appeal was dismissed. He occasionally came to the office to sign papers, and was always very polite but generally very withdrawn, and the impression I got was that he was a completely broken man. That said, you are definitely more qualified to attest to his character since you interactions were more frequent and more lengthy. Perhaps the criminal trial took a toll on him? Who knows?

User

Default Re: Convicted drug dealer Glenn Agliotti dies at Johannesburg hospital, police confirm

I sincerely hope that it was utter hell for him and that he suffered greatly.

User

Rest In Peace Glenn Agliotti.

Ok now that I have reached my sarcasm capacity for this morning I can continue with my day.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Johann du Toit View Post
    A lifetime ago, I clerked for the law firm that represented Selebi in his criminal defense, so what little I know of him as a person is based on my (admittedly very brief) interactions with him. This was after he had already been convicted, but before his final appeal was dismissed. He occasionally came to the office to sign papers, and was always very polite but generally very withdrawn, and the impression I got was that he was a completely broken man. That said, you are definitely more qualified to attest to his character since you interactions were more frequent and more lengthy. Perhaps the criminal trial took a toll on him? Who knows?

Who gives fcuk, may he rot in hell.

User

Selebi was just another useless POS as well

User

Quote Originally Posted by Johann du Toit View Post
    He occasionally came to the office to sign papers, and was always very polite but generally very withdrawn, and the impression I got was that he was a completely broken man.
    Your description of him is spot on given the circumstance / scenario you dealt with him.

He was indeed most of the time a very pleasant, soft spoken, and on the face of it a caring person.
    My own oppinion of him is that he was avery lonely person and perhaps he didnt fit in with the fat cat crowd as much as some others. he was a bit of a paradox...

He would visit Brooklyn EVERY christmas eve when he was commisioner and I remember MANY Sunday afetrnoons when he would arive at the station unanounced or sometimes even on night shifts just to talk to the cops on duty and hear how they were doing. And he would ALWAYS shake hands with every single member and treatr them with the utmost respect no matter what race or rank. He used to drive himself around with no bodyguards at all. Whenever he saw us walking footbeat in Hatfield he would stop and tell us to meet him at Uncle Fauzi's to "inspect our pocketbooks", and then he would buy us coffee without looking at our pocket books.

And aside from his "Dark side" (my term, and there was a lot of that...) he actually did a lot to improve things in the SAPS wrt motivation of members and service delivery. He closed all police canteens at stations and approved a budget to install gym equipment at stations free of charge for the cops of that station. One of his first real orders he gave (And I still have a copy of it) was a national instruction that NO member of the public may be refered to another station for any reason whatsoever. There were others as well.

I remember one nightshift (over christmass) when he was at the station. while we were talking to him one of the regular drunks / parking attendants / hobo's that would come to the station and sleep in front of the chrge office wanted to greet him and shake his hand. he jumped behind me and he was genuinly terrified of the drunk hobo. I took the hobo to the back to sit in the rtemporary holding cells until everyone left and he (Jackie) thanked me almost with tears in his eyes when I cam back into the charge office.

One thing I that I will always remember about him was his handshake. He would hold onto your hand the whole time while talking to you and he had soft hands like someone who had not done a days work in their life. I think that in the Police he was out of his depth. I do not think he had ever been in a real fight and he was (in my oppinion) socially akward and probably scared of other people. But despite that he managed to bully people when it suited him.

But then again... If he got saved even seconds before he died, he is going to be in heaven when a lot of other "good" people who walk around with hate in their hearts are not going to be there.

User

Ja, if there is a hell, I sincerely hope that's where Selebi and Agliotti are right now. Being nice in no way mitigates the harm done by these scum to many individuals and to the country as a whole.

User

M43, another interestingly insight there.

Makes you wonder could have been if he didn't take the corruption path.

Doesn't wipe away the bad, but it gives us insight to the man.

I'm sure there are MANY politicians that should be in jail that are just a bit more lucky than what Selebi was.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Ja, if there is a hell, I sincerely hope that's where Selebi and Agliotti are right now. Being nice in no way mitigates the harm done by these scum to many individuals and to the country as a whole.
    And the ones like FW... don't forget them ;)

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

@M43, Thank you for the interesting side of your experience.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast