Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default 2023 Family Hunt

Attached are three photos of our recent family hunting trip to a bitterly cold Graaff Reniet. My son, Ethan and I spent 4 long days walking and stalking the mountains for his first Kudu bull on a 10 000 hectare sheep farm.

He harvested this young Kudu from about 200 meters early in the morning. The winds were fierce as a recent cold front was hitting Cape Town which brought much snow with it. We stalked about 600 meters up a small dry river creek and the shrub for cover. He set himself up in a prone position over bipods. The herd of four kudu cows and two young bulls (and 1 troublesome Zebra) were not aware of us.

He took a neck shot from about 200 meters with the bull falling where he stood.

He was using my Remington model 700 in 30-06 calibre. We hand load using 165grain Nosler Accubonds.

After watching the fallen bull from our position, we made the rifle safe and radioed back to the farmer who waited down with the bakkie. It was decided the farmer would return to the homestead to collect help.

This gave us an hour to pay our respects to this beautiful animal, to discuss the morning and how hard the hunting had been. We have hunted this farm for a few years and this year was a challenge. I showed Ethan how to field dress the carcass.

Carcass weight (head and feet off, gutted but with skin on) was 95kg.
    Last edited by Courtcase; 19-07-2023 at 11:50. Reason: Cannot get photos to upload.

User

Default Re: 2023 Family Hunt

Congratulations to you and your son! Look forward to seeing the pictures. We hunted near Graaff-Reinet two weeks ago, missed the worst of the cold, snow started falling the Sunday as we left.

I do hope that you manage to upload the pics, Courtcase. It would be great celebrating your son's kudu with you.

We hunting near Molteno, this weekend passed. There was still snow in the shaded areas on the sides of the mountains, from the week before.
    Proper cold!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
    I do hope that you manage to upload the pics, Courtcase. It would be great celebrating your son's kudu with you.

We hunting near Molteno, this weekend passed. There was still snow in the shaded areas on the sides of the mountains, from the week before.
    Proper cold!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet View Post

Proper cold!
    Hope he gets the photos uploaded. 95kg dressed is pretty much par for a biggish bull in the EC. Courtcase you can install the Tapatalk app on your phone. Very easy to upload pics using the app. Albeit one by one.

I almost got upset you came past without stopping……. We must make a plan meneer Sweet.

We hunted last weekend up near Botswana border just before the cold. Slightly glad we missed the bad weather. But was in Ladismith this weekend and thought being in the mountains while packed with snow would probably be on helluva experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

What fine story to start my day. I'm envious, it is going to be
    42c here. Hunting in the cold mountains is the best hunt!

User

User

User

User