Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Default Yamamoto Pointer 12Br?

Good evening Folks,

I check in now and again, and tonight I would like to know whether anyone has experience with the Yamamoto Pointer shotgun?

It is said to be a FN Browning copy /clone / variant, made in Japan between 1963 and 1972 before Miroku started making the Browning Auto-5 in 1975.

However, dr Google contradicts himself. A few folks on the forums mention that Browning spares fit 100%, the majority of opinions seem to be unsure whether it can be done, and a few also mention that the Yamamoto has a different internal spring system.

I would appreciate any definite info on this!

Default Re: Yamamoto Pointer 12Br?

Hey Jaap,

posted by A5guy on shotgunworld.com

His title is ID & Value Expert.

"The Yamamoto Pointer, Mida, Nikko, Nikko/Charles Daly Pointer, Kodensha and Kawaguchiya (this is the KFC imported by LaPaloma Marketing) A5 clones were made when the Japanese made a run at the A5 market here in the US and some guns were sold through Golden Eagle, Kyowa-Boeki-Bussan and others. Not much is known of these front companies involvement in this matter since all records were secret and then destroyed. However, I think that Miroku put the stop (maybe they were behind the whole thing from the first) on these guns when Browning started to talk to them about building the A5 and other guns.

Parts for these clones are generally not interchangable and will not fit A5s. I know of no source for these cloned parts. The workmanship on these guns was pretty good. I have a Nikko/CD and a Yamamoto Auto-Pointer."

It looks like there were 4 or 5 Japanese clones of the Browning AG. Articles I have seen say they are all well manufactured. Not much breaks on a shotgun so spares may well not be your overriding issue. Is this for SD as all the pics I see are for a single barrel?

Would have to come at a real steal given the lack of info and the lack of spares. Saw one advertised in Australia for around R 8 000.

What do you want to do with it?
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

Banned

Thanks for answering! I got mine for less than R3000, and it is in very good condition

The piece you quote and other similar ones are the reason why I came asking for answers. I have read very few opinions from people who have actually handled these Japanese shotguns, and these opinions differ. Most seem to repeat general internet knowledge.

I have spoken to two gun smiths, one who has military or SAP background and used these shotguns extensively - his words. He might have been using real Brownings though. Both were sure that the Yamamoto and Browning shotguns could interchange parts.

Lastly, I saw one set of photos of a disassembled Yamakoto Pointer, and the parts looked very much the same.

Given all of these different opinions and internet answers, I suspect that several small companies made the Yamamoto shotguns, but I have no final answer yet - simply because answers differ. I further suspect that some of these companies stayed true to the original design and others "improved" or deliberately changed the Browning design. It seems to be impossible to tell the differences just based on the external appearance of the shotguns.

I am hoping that someone can come up with a more precise answer.

My reason for obtaining this particular shotgun is very easy: I have difficulty shooting accurately with a shotgun and this design seems to fit me better than others.

The objective would be general shotgun work: a bit of fowling, some clays etc. We have some great guinea fowl shoots in the vicinity and I would like to try it out some time.

Wrote a long post and it timed out GRRRR.

Is this yours?

PointerEng13Rvz.cdr (legacysports.com)
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Wrote a long post and it timed out GRRRR.

Is this yours?

PointerEng13Rvz.cdr (legacysports.com)
    No, these are new, Turkish-made shotguns.

Mine is like this:

https://www.bankstowngunshop.com.au/product/12g-yamamoto-pointer-semi-auto/

https://www.gunsamerica.com/917606138/Japanese-made-Browning-A5-Clone-Yamamoto-Auto-Pointer-2-3-4-inch-30-Full-Vent-Rib-Blem-ca-1968-Manufacture-Walnut-Stock-Forend-Fair.htm

I have no knowledge of the Yamamoto but an Auto 5 with good springs and the friction ring set right is possibly one of the softest shooting shotguns I have ever used.

Banned

This is good to know, thanks.

Being inertia/spring driven, one can easily install a longer magazine tube: https://www.briley.com/p-54424-brile...intage-a5.aspx

Banned

Not sure if you have read this....

https://www.shotgunworld.com/threads...pointer.98126/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by M80BHP View Post
    I have read that one; for some reason I cannot see the photos.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    I have read that one; for some reason I cannot see the photos.
    I think they have ceased to be hosted wherever they were originally. I logged in and they are still missing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast