Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: 5.56 headstamp cuts around primer

Quote Originally Posted by Koekie Monster View Post
    It is also a bitch to remove the primers and remove the primer crimp so you can relaod!
    Yes, Absolutely.

After 1st de-priming I take a countersink drill bit and use it to add a chamfer
    Its quick since brass is quite soft

Quote Originally Posted by Vuurdoop View Post
    Yes, Absolutely.

After 1st de-priming I take a countersink drill bit and use it to add a chamfer
    Its quick since brass is quite soft
    Thanks for the advice, I got a bunch of these recently and wasn't sure how to get the crimp out. Learn something new everyday :)

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

User

RCBS makes a swager that fits a single stage press. Lee does a swage kit for the APP. I have used both; the APP kit works much faster than the single stage kit obviously.

User

Do the swagers put a chamfer on the pocket *rim*?

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Do the swagers put a chamfer on the pocket *rim*?
    Not the ones I've used. They literally swage the primer pocket to the correct dimensions. Best swager I've used is the Dillon Super Swage 600

User

Quote Originally Posted by Stevin View Post
    Not the ones I've used. They literally swage the primer pocket to the correct dimensions. Best swager I've used is the Dillon Super Swage 600
    I have found that the swagers "round off" the edges of the primer pocket, leading to easier seating of primers. Chamfering the pockets will probably yield a similar result. 5.56mm brass, even some 9mm brass, with crimping around the primers are a breeze to reprime after swaging.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MrK View Post
    I have found that the swagers "round off" the edges of the primer pocket, leading to easier seating of primers. Chamfering the pockets will probably yield a similar result. 5.56mm brass, even some 9mm brass, with crimping around the primers are a breeze to reprime after swaging.
    Kinda, so the crimp deforms the entire pocket. A swager pushes all the material back to spec.
    Cutting a chamfer takes material away from the edge of the pocket in essence cutting it over spec, and along the taper back down to spec, and then depending on the crimp back under spec.
    This allows the leading edge of the primer to seat and slowly deform as it seats.

I do the chamfer if I'm loading and come across a case that hasn't been swaged. It typically works well enough for bulk volume ammo imo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2