Default .308 Win Conversion to ??

Hi guys,

A good friend of mine, inherited an awesome Mannlicher Schonauer (1967) in .308Win form his grandpa, via his uncle. The rifle was an army issue back then. The problem is that the rifle is nowhere to be found in terms of never being registered. There seems to be no license history. Not even the army archives holds any records of this rifle. Therefore it seems that getting a license for this will be impossible.

We had a chat the other day and was in 2 minds what to do.

So after considering maybe getting collector's status and going that route, we thought that maybe a rebarreling would be best.

Surely you will lose the original esthetic value and some of the sentimental value as well, but we figured at least the rifle will be useable and grandpa's beloved rifle could "live on". Turing it into a wall piece is not an option.

He already owns a 303 too. So we reckoned rebarrel with a truvelo barrel and convert into a 243Win caliber.

What do you think? Will it be possible without too many hassles?Do you agree that this will be the path of least resistance with a fair end?

User

Default Re: .308 Win Conversion to ??

oooh la la!!! i am so glad that this is a hypothetical questions, otherwise you guys would be in possession of an illegal fire arm.

if this is a case in Africa, my answer to your hypothetical question would be to go and and see a lawyer that knows his way around the new gun laws.

but of course it is hypothetical!! in any way, it is only logical that the rifle would be in safe keeping with authorities including special clearances for reasons of trying to get hold of history and previous registrations for the rifle if it was not a hypothetical question. can you recommend a lawyer? there has been talks

---------- Post added at 11:48 ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by buffalo soldier View Post
    but of course it is hypothetical!! in any way, it is only logical that the rifle would be in safe keeping with authorities including special clearances for reasons of trying to get hold of history and previous registrations for the rifle if it was not a hypothetical question. can you recommend a lawyer? there has been talks
    sorry, connection issues

there has been talks about which lawyer to use with regards to helping in the license application process of a new Ruger 22-250 early next year so if you can recommend somebody from your experiences to assist with motivations etc it will be appreciated.

User

i have used Legally Armed in Bloemfontein. they have branches all over the country, but the owner in bloem is the guy to see with the questions you have. he is ex-saps and a lawyer. he did some things for me and some other people i know. all were satisfied. not cheap though, but for the rifle you are referring to, i would walk the extra mile.

good luck and dont give up, stick it to the system!!!

Motivating a gun on the system is one thing. Legitimising one which isn't is entirely another.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal