Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Impala Bullets pin jags and .22 LR dummies / snap caps

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    22 rounds don't have primers. The edge of the dummy is made of the same stuff as the rim of a 22 and dents just the same.
    If you don't mind, when you get the time post a photo of a normal .22 fired case compared to the solid brass dummy after firing, I want to see the difference.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    If you don't mind, when you get the time post a photo of a normal .22 fired case compared to the solid brass dummy after firing, I want to see the difference.
    Sure, unfortunately I haven't got any fired 22's to thand for comparison though so it won't be before sunday assuming I can make it to the range.

User

I'm no good at photography and have a shitty old phone so this isn't a masterpiece. The Hi Standard has a circular firing pin. Will post a pic of a fired case for comparison as soon as I have one to hand.

User

Thanks

Opinions and arseholes, we all have them, my first impressions which is hopefully wrong says it will damage something over time, the biggest point of contact remains on the solid body, which just does not give, a normal .22 round will probably give exponentially easier.

Given that one can buy .22 snapcaps in SA it’s not a route that I would take with a prized possession, so monitor it closely and let’s hope my boss level pedantic instinct is wrong on this.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Thanks

Opinions and arseholes, we all have them, my first impressions which is hopefully wrong says it will damage something over time, the biggest point of contact remains on the solid body, which just does not give, a normal .22 round will probably give exponentially easier.

Given that one can buy .22 snapcaps in SA it’s not a route that I would take with a prized possession, so monitor it closely and let’s hope my boss level pedantic instinct is wrong on this.
    Fair enough, the brass is solid and therefor can't give as much as a bit of sheet of the same material would. I'm reasonably comfortable with these though as they do indent a fair bit and are a much softer material than the firing pin but as you suggest, I'll definitely keep my eye on it.

I haven't come across snap caps for .22 that have a compliant portion where the pin strikes. I've seen plastic ones from sil crin which are pretty much worthless and solid-ish aluminium from A-zoom. Have you come across others which have an 'absorber'?

User

You do get the plastic ones with a full rim, full contact area.
    In our .22 pistols we always used the same spent cartridge which we rotated around with each use.
    I suspect if you have about 10 of these and rotate them enough you should get close to a hundred uses.

https://safarioutdoor.co.za/tipton-s...e-10-pack.html

User

Thanks for the link. I've tried plastic ones that look similar to those and they came apart very quickly from primer strikes. The material seemed too weak or soft and chucked them for that reason. I also found that they lacked the weight to feed reliably in my pistol.

The empty case solution doesn't work in my case either for a number of reasons. In my pistol they don't feed so I have to chamber them and drop the slide which I don't like doing for fear of blitzing the extractor. Perhaps due to to a loose chamber the cases swell and are a very tight fit which means that a lot of force is required to extract them.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Thanks for the link. I've tried plastic ones that look similar to those and they came apart very quickly from primer strikes. The material seemed too weak or soft and chucked them for that reason. I also found that they lacked the weight to feed reliably in my pistol.

The empty case solution doesn't work in my case either for a number of reasons. In my pistol they don't feed so I have to chamber them and drop the slide which I don't like doing for fear of blitzing the extractor. Perhaps due to to a loose chamber the cases swell and are a very tight fit which means that a lot of force is required to extract them.
    Once you get the chance to try, pull a bullet, throw out the powder, shoot the primer in any gun.
    Now the cases should not have expanded and should fit loose in your gun.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Opinion: if a firing pin is going to break, it will do so for one of two reasons. Either there is nothing to stop the momentum, and it breaks at the first stress riser behind the point, or it gets an impact from the side.

If it were to be repeatedly struck against something substantially harder than it, it might mushroom over time.

None of those three situations are present here. I don't bet easily, but I am prepared to wager that these snap caps will not damage the firing pin even with lots of dry firing which is not the purpose they were bought for, and that they will protect the chamber, which is.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath Robinson View Post
    In that case you must use the caps.

My concern is this: on some of the ranges I have shot recently, people are taught to unload, show clear, close breech and ease springs by dry firing.
    This seems to be becoming more prevalent. This seems to have carried over into other areas of gun-handling, and in the last few years a couple of times guys have dry-fired some of my firearms before handing them back after having a look. Sometimes this happens faster than I can stop them. The old ethos of handing a gun over with the action open seems to be disappearing.

Oh, and lastly, I like dry-firing for practice. And while I am sure these caps will allow you to ease springs for many a year, I doubt they will stand up to regular dry-fire practice?
    With rifles and others wanting to “have a look” I use chamber flags as far as possible inserted when I get the rifle from the safe.

On shooting ranges this “slide forward, pull trigger” is fine with certain firearms, but for others I arrive with a chamber flag, when getting ready to shoot the safety officer takes it out and after shooting he put the flag in its place and I will close the bolt until the flag is tight. Certainly more safety lile this as by inspection from a distance even the state of the firearm can be seen by all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast