Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User

Default Cases of Firearm Use

Slightly off topic.
    My wife owns a Doggy Daycare that is on a large property that she shares with a few restaurants, housing complex and a lodge type setup. She is off to the side on a large open area.

Couple of weeks ago one of her clients dropped of her dog and asked if a shooting range has been opened on the property. My wife went too investigate and found a man prone on the grass next to her access road shooting at a target. He was shooting directly in the direction of a very busy road.

She told him to stop and what he is doing is illegal. He proceeded to threaten her. She took the .22 rifle off him and made it safe. He then started pushing her around and she ended up on the ground.

The property owner and one of the restaurant managers arrived and took the guy to Bainsvlei SAPS. The “member” at the desk said that the guy did nothing wrong, gave him his rifle back without checking the license, the guy then started laying a charge of assault against my wife and the property owner. They later went back and spoke to the station commander who realized what a cluster fuck he had on his hands and intervened. The “member” was new was the excuse and a detective visited the guy shooting. He is a resident in the complex and says did not realize it is illegal to shoot there or that a .22 can be deadly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Re: Cases of Firearm Use

No problem with “The member being new.” It might be true and he/she understood the scenario and place of shooting wrong.

But with the SC now involved the license should be checked and compared with the ID and also the competency certificate compared if the details of the person and firearm and license and competency correlate. Something smells rotten here.

And exactly this attitude of some ignorant idiots that “a .22 is not deadly” and some ideas that it can be used in build up areas is why motivation for .22 licensing is scrutinized more by CFR than for a “hunting rifle.” (have no proof, except what I experienced and heard from others.). And rightly so.

That shooter needs to be condemned by the whole legally armed firearm owning community. Make an example of him. Call Gerrie Nel…. Haha

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

By the way Davidc. Your wife is really one of those that we need more of in society.

I would recommend the two of you have a “post incident talk” and discuss what went right and wrong and the risks involved. She could have been shot. And my problem is, my wife would have done exactly the same. Ai jai jai

User

I have no trust in the plod and fully expect them to be crooked and/or incompetent. I've have had very few interactions with them in the last 20 years where that turned out not to be true. A fair number are also flat out racist and clearly get a boner from fucking the previously advantaged around.

User

I hate to 'maak jou bang' but I would recommend Oafs advice.

A family member met up with an old friend and old magistrate friend. The friend recounted being thrown with a brick towards his head. When he asked SAPS what charge to lay they said 'you can't, but when asked what the charge will be if doing the same with a bullet the answer was quick 'attempted murder'. Even if both scenarios would have the same outcome if the aim was right? The magistrate just replied 'polisie is etter, etter, etter'.

I had a SD shooting but I only fired a warning shot. My case was settled with me having to buy fridges. My lawyer told me so directly. Same lawyer also tried to walk out on me twice when I asked too many Qs. A very big, highly recommended lawyer- one of the biggest three in my town.

My friend got a cop drunk and brought him to my house. When we asked him what is going to happen to that guy that shot a warning shot at the 10 armed druggies surrounding him he said 'nah he's F%%$$D', 'we prepped the druggies, told them what to say, claimed they were unarmed in the report and we are stretching the case as long as possible'. When asked why he said 'it's a black vs white thing'.

When I asked the investigating officer what is happening he lowered his eyes and ran away. Obviously he didn't have control and the drunk cop turned out to be a prison warden. I don't know what the hell he was involved in but from my stoep he could point out where some of the druggies lived. He was obviously directly involved. I also think this is part of the reason all my guns were taken for the duration of the case. It is the investigating officer's decision but...

When I fled to the police station, druggies in tow, the officer made it about me and called over the radio that a crazy armed man walked into the shop and threatened their lives. I never showed my firearm. The arriving officers came to put me down.

All together a real shit show but I can offer a little bit of advice. Use Oaf's advice and if you can run away, always choose that first. Don't come here with that white coloniser I was justified nonsens. Always run if given an out.

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post

A family member met up with an old friend and old magistrate friend. The friend recounted being thrown with a brick towards his head. When he asked SAPS what charge to lay they said 'you can't, but when asked what the charge will be if doing the same with a bullet the answer was quick 'attempted murder'. Even if both scenarios would have the same outcome if the aim was right? The magistrate just replied 'polisie is etter, etter, etter'.

I had a SD shooting but I only fired a warning shot. My case was settled with me having to buy fridges. My lawyer told me so directly. Same lawyer also tried to walk out on me twice when I asked too many Qs. A very big, highly recommended lawyer- one of the biggest three in my town.

My friend got a cop drunk and brought him to my house. When we asked him what is going to happen to that guy that shot a warning shot at the 10 armed druggies surrounding him he said 'nah he's F%%$$D', 'we prepped the druggies, told them what to say, claimed they were unarmed in the report and we are stretching the case as long as possible'. When asked why he said 'it's a black vs white thing'.

When I asked the investigating officer what is happening he lowered his eyes and ran away. Obviously he didn't have control and the drunk cop turned out to be a prison warden. I don't know what the hell he was involved in but from my stoep he could point out where some of the druggies lived. He was obviously directly involved. I also think this is part of the reason all my guns were taken for the duration of the case. It is the investigating officer's decision but...

When I fled to the police station, druggies in tow, the officer made it about me and called over the radio that a crazy armed man walked into the shop and threatened their lives. I never showed my firearm. The arriving officers came to put me down.

All together a real shit show but I can offer a little bit of advice. Use Oaf's advice and if you can run away, always choose that first. Don't come here with that white coloniser I was justified nonsens. Always run if given an out.
    Man, that is just outright sad that you can't even rely on a police station as a place of safety. The state our country has come to. But I guess the corrupt racist police just reflects that of the government.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post

Alltogether a real shit show but I can offer a little bit of advice. Use Oaf's advice and if you can run away, always choose that first. Don't come here with that white coloniser I was justified nonsens. Always run if given an out.
    How things go down depends on your local cops and who of them you know and your relationship with them. Sounds as if you have a real kak lot where you are. Where I am there are more good cops than bad, and for the bad ones the station commander knows that I/we will phone her and involve her if there are issues with them, 24/7 whether she is on duty or not. But then again she also knows who to phone if they need help. E.g. two female officers alone in a vehicle on their way to arrest someone.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    I work on the assumption that I will be treated unfairly, inequitably and maybe even illegally by 'law enforcement' in the event of me shooting someone. As per Bundu Ric I also know that I will be automatically charged with murder or attempted murder and that I will incur substantial expense even if everything goes my way. For those reasons I do whatever is within my power to avoid places and situations where shooting someone may become necessary. Happily, now that I'm older and fartier that's become very much easier than when I was younger and more excitable.

Something else to consider is that the 'witnesses' to a shooting event may or may not have seen it or even been there. Two people I know had very damaging witness statements made about shootings they were involved in by people who had not even been within sight of the events.
    i could not agree more with you , I have experienced this first hand and in time will reply here .

User

Quote Originally Posted by MSW2 View Post
    How things go down depends on your local cops and who of them you know and your relationship with them. Sounds as if you have a real kak lot where you are. Where I am there are more good cops than bad, and for the bad ones the station commander knows that I/we will phone her and involve her if there are issues with them, 24/7 whether she is on duty or not. But then again she also knows who to phone if they need help. E.g. two female officers alone in a vehicle on their way to arrest someone.
    We have some good ones, I would say most are but it kinda felt like these okes are imbedded and come out with quite a bit of influence when they want to.
    After my case, the guy who was in the station quickly retired and became a priest. It seems he met his match but it could have ended with me dead. There were no repercussions and I've had much more happen to me.

I use to visit people from work and some were rastas. Seeing as I am not a drug dealer or smoke dagga I thought it would be fine. After a few years of hello hoe gaan dit one of them mentioned that the cops are looking for a white Isuzu bakkie that visits in that area. I knew it was me and headed over to the investigators HQ to ask who is looking for me. They said none and sent me down to the drug unit. There I met the ones who did. I asked why and they said 'you parked at a tik house'. I said 'when and where?'. They stammered and replied 'you parked next to a tik seller's car at a cafe'. I said 'when and where'.
    I asked why they are doing this but got no reply. Shortly after, in another town, my dad, on whose name the Isuzu was, was pushed off the road by three SAPS bakkies. They claimed he picked up a package in the squatter camp and then interrogated him. It was a big embarrassment for him. Roll with the pigs and all. They simply made it all up and easily bugger your life up. Just to make sure ne?

On that same note I caught a guy stealing stuff in my friend's yard. When he tried to escape I had him by the legs with his torso over the fence. He started screaming for the neighbour, a cop, by name, to save him from me. Roll with the pigs and all. Many of them have criminal family members and 'understand' how this poor oke feels when ou wit baas catches him.

We recently had a farmers security meeting with our SAPS commander (who replaced the previous one with whiskey eyes- that was the fingerprint lady before and after) and was told not to scream 'you bliksems are useless' at cops who run over the farms in pursuit of crims because the cops complained and said they will not catch crims on that property again. Nothing can be done about that. There are many grey areas where they can not be heeled.
    The same goes for the nice coloured girl who stood across the street in her waiter uniform and witnessed me screaming "put down your weapons and move on", loudly, three times, before firing a warning shot. My lawyer would not drag her in and firing him would have made the case start all over.

In my case, I guess, when I needed help the most, I just got the wrong okes all at once but I live in Oudtshoorn and I think it has to be worse in bigger towns/cities or where the cultha is different. Regardless, and I need people to take this part very seriously, when you end up in a cell, awaiting bail, and you most likely will, with their word against yours and many being charged with murder after a SD shooting, pappa is going to ask 'did you hurt them' not 'were they armed, did they corner you, did you try to avoid trouble, were you justified, did they enter your house'. It is going to be a sad lesson for the uninitiated.

If you can run, FFS run. There is no guarantee of fair treatment.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4