Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: School me on the bits that screw onto the muzzle please.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    I "tuned" the comp on my Mini14 so that it basically comes back straight at you and stay on target. This makes follow-up shots very fast. That is what sport shooter tune their rifles for. But if it makes a moerse racket, you as shooter doesn't hear it so bad because you are right behind the gun and little sound reach you. My Mini14 is quite obnoxious.
    I've seen real benefits on SLRs and even PCCs for the guys that can actually shoot them quickly to begin with. The ones that grate my balls are fitted to the bolt action rifles of occasional paper punchers where all they achieve is to make the guns more instagrammy and me more jumpy.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Thanks fellers.

Let me go do some research on brands as mentioned.

What is the etiquette. Gunsmith supplies the suppressor and fits or does one simply give the thread details to the gunsmith? Do the gunsmiths get a better deal on the suppressors?
    Depends on the gunsmith. Some will supply and cut thread/fit thread cap, others will only cut thread/cap.

If you need to order suppressor: rule of thumb(metric) 2mm smaller than outer diameter at crown, 20mm crown-M18x1 thread. Best to order, then take along for gunsmith to cut thread and make sure it fits.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bonedoc View Post
    Depends on the gunsmith. Some will supply and cut thread/fit thread cap, others will only cut thread/cap.

If you need to order suppressor: rule of thumb(metric) 2mm smaller than outer diameter at crown, 20mm crown-M18x1 thread. Best to order, then take along for gunsmith to cut thread and make sure it fits.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Cool thanks.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Gunsmiths I know all want the suppressor in hand when cutting to be sure it fits correctly and screw on.

In case of Gunwarrior, buying directly or having the gunsmith ordering was the same price and timeframe. With him ordering I knew it would be the correct product. I guess dealer discount is involved hence the same price,

Also get pricing on thread caps to not be surprised when it comes to payment. They are not R 50!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    https://www.gunwarrior.co.za/copy-of-warrior-large-1

Should be able to get an idea on the “Internal break.”
    Basically it seems like a diffuser to protect the first baffle. Don't think you would need that for steel silencers. I cannot see that it would reduce recoil any more than a proper silencer would. Calling it an "internal brake" seems rather ingenious.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Without it I have not heard of a Warrior cracking so I doubt it is for protecting a weaker product from cracking.

The angles of the holes cannot be seen on the images, but I bet the angles are created in such a way that recoil reduction takes place.

Give the gents at Gunwarrior a call. Friendly knowledgeable bunch. They will be able to answer your questions

User

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    Basically it seems like a diffuser to protect the first baffle. Don't think you would need that for steel silencers. I cannot see that it would reduce recoil any more than a proper silencer would. Calling it an "internal brake" seems rather ingenious.
    I haven’t spoken to anybody about their internal brake concept, but from a pure physics standpoint all a normal brake does is push the rifle forward.
    Now my opinion can be flawed but when I view the design I can see the internal brake only achieving one thing, slowing down the gas expansion rate, hence slowing down the reverse-recoil impulse.
    It’s like making a suppressor bigger with more baffles, same thing.
    It’s one of Newton’s laws, every action have an equal and opposite reaction, if you are not going to push the gas away from the rifle it will react with it again, a normal brake uses angled gas to push the rifle forward whiles the gas escape, but if you put it inside a suppressor that gas will expand in all directions, key being all directions inside the suppressor not away from the rifle.
    It’s a closed system after all, it’s like shaking a bottle of coke, the pressure is not higher after shaking it, not at all, people just think so. So whiles people think the brake is working the same way a brake work it’s not, all its doing is slowing down the expansion rate. It’s like shooting the same bullet with a fast powder and a slow powder at the same speed, it’s mostly the recoil impulse that changes.

Now we all know the extreme pressure of the expanding gas, so I would assume doing this raises the pressure inside the suppressor, must be there is no other way, aka more chance of structural damage.

In short, causing the gas to exit the suppressor slower, still the same amount of gas pushing against the same baffles just over a longer period.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3