Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default School me on the bits that screw onto the muzzle please.

I have a 6.5mm Swede that shoots well. I am busy restocking the rifle and have had a rethink on its purpose. Having moved to the Cape a lot of my hunting will now be longer range with Springbok being the worst-case scenario in terms of size at distance.

I have not been a suppressor or muzzle break fan but am exploring options as well as a bipod. This represents a complete mind shift for me. In my days "tactical" was your plan to get to chat the honey at the end of the bar so you could have your evil way with her.

The primary purpose of the thingy at the end will be to be able to keep the muzzle on target after the shot is fired. Sound attenuation I think woulf be secondary.

So without talking brands, school me on firstly technical considerations of a suppressor vs. a brake.

Then if there are hybrids that employ both technologies?,

What is the best hunting solution to control muzzle rise. The recoil is not a problem but reduced recoil and muzzle rise does lend itself to improved results.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Default Re: School me on the bits that screw onto the muzzle please.

Suppressor will help with recoil mitigation and make it a pleasure to shoot (noise wise) on the range and in the field. It will make the rifle a bit heavier to carry, and somewhat more ungainly due to added length (not really much of an issue for a voorsit rifle). Especially in voorsit conditions, the noise reduction will probably allow one or two extra shots whilst the animals are in range.

Muzzle break will help with recoil mitigation and make it a pain (noise wise) to shoot on the range and in the field. It won't add significant extra mass or length. In voorsit conditions, like for an unsuppressed rifle, chances are you'll only get one shot at a time, due to animals spooked by the noise.

In my books there is no question. Get a suppressor and get it fitted by a good gunsmith (the guy I sent you the contact details for did an excellent job on my 223). You can spend less than R2K on a good one or way more than that on some very fancy excellent Finnish products. TStone has something starting with an F on his 30-06 and I believe it's superb, without adding unacceptable length or mass.

Muzzle breaks are for cannons and perhaps long range gong ringing "platforms" that end in "Magnum" or "PRC", but not for hunting rifles.

User

I'm partial to APW, Gunwarrior and Silent Hunter products. Locally available, reasonably priced and "for shooters, by shooters". I have APW brakes, Silent Hunter silencer and Warrior brake and silencers, as well as silencer/brake combo.

If I compare recoil control/muzzle rise between a Gunwarrior brake and silencer on a 6.5, the brake is better. It adds very little weight and length, but it's loud, so no shooting without ear protection.

Gunwarrior silencer with brake in front has similar muzzle flip reduction, but adds weight and length to the front of the rifle. For hunting, no problem without ear protection.

For hunting purposes, where you are not going to be stalking through thick brush the whole day, I would go with a Gunwarrior/APW silencer/ brake combo.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My klisch silencer (also local) has a small muzzle break on the end as well

Works very well

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

User

I'd choose a suppressor over a brake any day of the week, for the simple reason that many/most ranges don't allow you to shoot with a brake on their premises. Brakes are uncomfortably noisy, even for smaller calibers, and they can be quite damaging if there's something near the muzzle when it's fired (like a bakkie's mirror).

User

I've had both a suppressor and a muzzle-brake on my 6.5, the suppressor makes it soft and quiet to shoot, bought a lovely low profile unit from ARMS in Waterkloof that didn't look like I stole the back end off a motorbike exhaust somewhere. Switched to a muzzle brake from Gunwarrior. Recoils even less, can spot trace and impacts easier. It's a horribly loud device. My 3006 hunting rifle has a suppressor and only a suppressor. For hunting, I would not even consider a muzzle brake, they're loud, horrible things, but they have a place in some shooting sports.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

I use a Gunwarrior reflex silencer on my 6,5 Swede (Howa 1500). Shooting without ear protection on hunts. Recoil aleady reduced. My 12 yo daughter with a very light frame enjoy shooting it. The reflex make sense for us as we hunt in the bush with it and I refuse to have my kids shooting without suppressors in the field, so the less gain in length was consideration.

I also use a Gunwarrior with Internal brake and the break on the front on my PC Carbine. 9mmP recoil is not a lot, but without the suppressor is noticeably more.

Why Gunwarrior? Because of economy, after sales service and supporting local.

User

I don't understand what this "internal brake" is? Doesn't the baffles inside the silencer already work as an internal brake?

I have been looking at these units (https://phprecision.co.za/ph-precisi.../#page-content) but don't have any references for the build quality, support etc.

User

But you must remember that you may not use a silencer in Ipsc/Sapsa type of competitions because you need the bang to activate the timer.
    I am planning to get a short fat compact silencer for my pcc but it wouldn't be used in competition. A 147gn at 1040fps would work well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast