Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default The MiG Diaries: Fighter Pilot Memoirs & Accounts of Cuban, SAAF and Angolan Air Combat in Southern

Most books on the Angolan Bush War present the South African perspective of events. Now a former MiG-23 Squadron Commander of the Cuban Air Force has collaborated with an ex-SAAF pilot to paint a remarkable new picture of the aerial conflict over Angola in the 1980s.

In The MiG Diaries the recollections of Lt-Col Eduardo González Sarría are blended by Lionel Reid with those of air combatants from the Angolan, Cuban and South African air forces. Many are being published for the first time. Using their own aviation knowledge and experience of the conflict, Sarría and Reid combine the accounts of these diverse combatants – former comrades and foe – to provide original insights into, and a more holistic description of, what happened in the skies over Angola. The results, often quite different to what the opposing sides had believed, reveal a surprising, and more complete, picture of events.

That's what the promo material says. It is an interesting read, and always good to hear the opposing sides' perspective in a war. The Cuban author served two tours in Angola - 1976 and 1985/86.

The Migs definitely had an impact on SADF ground operations in Southern Angola in the last phases of the war - the Victor Victor (Vyandelike Vliegtuie) warning over the radio got everyone scurrying for cover - luckily for us the pilots were not accurate bomb aimers.

I would have liked to have read more detail from the Cubans and Angolans on the impact of the G5 cannons on their air operations at Cuito Cuanavale.

User

Default Re: The MiG Diaries: Fighter Pilot Memoirs & Accounts of Cuban, SAAF and Angolan Air Combat in South

Thanks, will check out. Best local price?

User

Default Re: The MiG Diaries: Fighter Pilot Memoirs & Accounts of Cuban, SAAF and Angolan Air Combat in South

I paid R385 from CNA, but Takealot has it in stock for R365.

User

That sounds so interesting. I enjoy books relating to Angola and the Border war. Thank you for the post.

User

Sounds like an interesting read and I've added it to my list. Thanks for the pointer.

User

I would have liked to have read more detail from the Cubans and Angolans on the impact of the G5 cannons on their air operations at Cuito Cuanavale.
    I have a book on that, interesting but not riveting, it's also an accumulation of about 5 different characters, can post the name if you want.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sean KZN View Post
    I have a book on that, interesting but not riveting, it's also an accumulation of about 5 different characters, can post the name if you want.
    Yes please

User

I thoroughly enjoyed The MiG Diaries, it gives really interesting and valuable insight into the air war during the later stages of the Border War. I'm privileged that my copy is one of a number I don't know how many) that was signed by Lionel Reid and Sean Thackeray (who's illustrations are outstanding). On my bookshelf, 5his book fully deserves its place next to companion titles like "Vlamgat" and "From Fledgling To Eagle" by Dick Lord, and older ones like "Borders trike!" by Willem Steenkamp, "Honoris Crux" by At van Wyk and "Warriors Of The Sky" and "South Africa's Flying Cheetahs in Korea", both by Peter Bagshawe.

User

Frontline accounts by Soviet Soldiers CUITO CUANAVALE by G Shubin.

An Unpopular War by Jackie Thompson is also a great read.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast