Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Optics for self defense vs Olight laser?

Read the last sentence again.

User

You made a statement that it reduces effectiveness for the most common scenario. I’m asking you to explain what common scenario that is,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by lokx View Post
    You made a statement that it reduces effectiveness for the most common scenario. I’m asking you to explain what common scenario that is,

Most shootings happen within 7? meters. If irons are faster at that distance it would be better to have them.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    Most shootings happen within 7? meters. If irons are faster at that distance it would be better to have them.
    Who says they’re faster? Irons you have 3 focal planes to line up. Dot you’re target focused. Seems quicker to me

User

Quote Originally Posted by lokx View Post
    Who says they’re faster? Irons you have 3 focal planes to line up. Dot you’re target focused. Seems quicker to me Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If your fundamentals are right, you only use front sight, most of the times, at combat ranges. That is if you are not point shooting at sub 10 meter. Don Gold did this close quarter Flash shooting training and you do not use sights at this distance.

User

I'm very inexperienced with handguns and SD but I don't think you will be aiming with anything at that distance. Maybe the top of the slide.
    If something is fast and close you will not line up iron sights or a dot, you have to have good form or you have to point it in that direction and pray.

In my imagination a front sight will be used exactly like a dot, just not in focus and with a lot faster alignment CORRECTION.

I know with a rifle there is probably no faster sight than a dot but I say that because I have shouldered a rifle 10000s of times and it is easy for me.
    In a handgun I'll throw this out there. Iron sights on a handgun are the red dots of aiming tools.

I'm very inexperienced with handguns and SD but I don't think you will be aiming with anything at that distance. Maybe the top of the slide.If something is fast and close you will not line up iron sights or a dot, you have to have good form or you have to point it in that direction and pray. In my imagination a front sight will be used exactly like a dot, just not in focus and with a lot faster alignment CORRECTION. I know with a rifle there is probably no faster sight than a dot but I say that because I have shouldered a rifle 10000s of times and it is easy for me. In a handgun I'll throw this out there. Iron sights on a handgun are the red dots of aiming tools.
    It is amazing how pointable the Fal is vs even the R5, same with the older bolt action rifles vs the modern designs made for scoped use. Concepts and lessons from the likes of Shooting to Live that we seem to forget.

User

I'm very inexperienced with handguns and SD but I don't think you will be aiming with anything at that distance. Maybe the top of the slide.
    If something is fast and close you will not line up iron sights or a dot, you have to have good form or you have to point it in that direction and pray.

In my imagination a front sight will be used exactly like a dot, just not in focus and with a lot faster alignment CORRECTION.

I know with a rifle there is probably no faster sight than a dot but I say that because I have shouldered a rifle 10000s of times and it is easy for me.
    In a handgun I'll throw this out there. Iron sights on a handgun are the red dots of aiming tools.
    Not really the same sight picture. Well sort off.

The first part is to actually find the dot.

You are correct as the very close shots you point shoot more than anything else.

With an open sight, well for me anyway, i already “see” the front sight when it comes into the sight picture. In my case I try and keep focusing on the front sight and it in focus.

With a red dot in my limited experience your presentation needs to be perfect, otherwise you ar fishing with your wrists to get to find the dot.

Again, in my opinion open sights shoot faster, unless you can relearn. I also think if your eyesight is not great, the red dot offers options, unless you have an astigmatism(the dot turns into a worm or star or splash).

The longer shots also seems to be more accurate.

You are also correct that with open sights or red dots at very close distance you will point shoot more than aim.

Agree with you also on a rifle with a dot. Even my messed up splashes for a red dot work very well close and medium range on the AR.

In my case the pistol dot and sights are used a little differently.

User

I know for me the dot improved my IPSC shooting by a huge margin.

Shooting steel and swingers and other movers is way way better, on one match we had a ton of swingers almost on every stage and out of 10 stages I only had 2 x Mikes, the breakdown was 110 Alphas, 44 Charlies, 8 x Delta's and 2 x Mikes

Also the very close targets if they are in the window it's good to go.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3