Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Looking for a fast accurate medium caliber heavy barreled commercially produced rifle

300WM

Default Re: Looking for a fast accurate medium caliber heavy barreled commercially produced rifle

300 WSM, but must admit cases are not readily available…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

300WM in a Rem700 Sendero if you can find a nice one second-hand. They shoot well and the 26" barrel provides a bit more than the 24" offerings.

Probably not Howa money but the Rem700 has another advantage of cartridges that can be loaded to about 92mm if you want to magfeed it from the original box mag.
    https://scontent-jnb1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...ew&oe=64ED582A

User

Quote Originally Posted by aimpoint View Post
    300 WSM, but must admit cases are not readily available…

This all day long!!!!!
    Case availability will improve in the future.

Got one a few weeks ago!
    Shooting sub MOA @ 100, 200 and 300m with factory ammo. Will be even better when I start reloading.
    I’ve got the Tikka in a light versions and with a suppressor it is a treat to shoot. In a heavy barrel, it would be a dream.

Not sure my 6,5cm in heavy barrel will see the light of day again.

Where I hunt in Canada the 270 WSM is starting to become more popular. Seen several in the field. Lower recoil than 7mm magnum. Tikka makes rifles chambered for this.

User

I had a Tikka 270wsm. I have sold it to get a 300WM for a bit more power.
    It shot quite a few Eland, and knocks the animals Hard.
    If cases were more readily available, the 300 WSM would have been great. That being said, I don't think I have gone wrong with the 300WM for cases availability
    A roaring Lion kills no game

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    I had a Tikka 270wsm. I have sold it to get a 300WM for a bit more power.
    It shot quite a few Eland, and knocks the animals Hard.
    If cases were more readily available, the 300 WSM would have been great. That being said, I don't think I have gone wrong with the 300WM for cases availability
    Components are scarce and somebody somewhere in SA will have cases for the 300WM. The OP does not need a short action and weight is not a problem.

User

If you already have a 7x64, then the new rifle should be something not too close to it. The 280AI for example, will be very close to the 7x64 in terms of case capacity and ballistic potential.

Just a note on the 6.5 Vegan calibre: There is nothing really wrong with it, it's just the type of people who seem to be attracted to it that give it the bad rep. It is however not an improvement over the 7x64 for hunting at sensible distances.

To get better performance than the 7x64 can give, my suggestion would be a good rifle in 300WSM. Howa is not an option yet, so my vote would go to a Tikka T3X Varmint rifle in 300WSM.

2 of my friends have such rifles, both suppressed, and I must admit that they are very pleasant to shoot off a bench with, even when the bench is too low. The recoil is very mild and manageable. Both rifles are also boringly accurate and shoot clover-leaf groups at 100m on demand. It is just so difficult to miss with them.

The only negative aspect of this configuration may be the standard 1:11" rifling twist. I would have preferred a 1:10" twist at least, to accommodate the heavier bullets available in 308", but if you insist on shooting them at a MV above 3000 fps, that point is moot.

The 300WSM is fairly popular in SA, so dies and cases should not be a problem. Cases my be in short supply right now, but that can and will change. Bullet options in .308" are wider than most, as the calibre is very popular.

Tikka Varmint 7mm rem mag?

User

Thanks for the advice so far, it has helped to crystalize my thoughts a bit.

I had another thought, when I was looking at the modern chamberings, especially, the PRC's. These normally come in higher twist rates, to stabilize long heavy high BC bullets for long distance competition shooting (shots over 500m, where BC actually matters). I am well aware that you can get unstable projectiles if the twist rate is too slow for the bullet length, but are there any effects with respect to the opposite, for example, the 300 PRC is designed to shoot and stabilize long bullets around 220gr in a 1:8 twist rate. Would it be less accurate if I shot light for caliber projectiles such as a 150gr with 1:8 twist? Or essentially, would a 300 Win Mag or WSM be more accurate with a 150gr bullet at a 1:10 twist, than the PRC?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast