Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 PRC rifles

User

Default 6.5 PRC rifles

Hi Gunsiters.

I am in the market to buy a 6.5 PRC rifle.

I am considering either a Tikka super varmint, Sako S20 or Sauer 100 Fieldshoot. There are however no Sauer Fieldshoots in 6.5 PRC available in SA currently and I will have to wait for an unknown period of time.

I don’t reload and will be shooting factory ammo.

Please provide some advice, opinions and recommendations.

Thanks.

User

Default Re: 6.5 PRC rifles

Howa makes a 6.5 PRC in a standard and Varmint barrel. The action is all metal and under 15K. Put any stock you like on it, and bed it properly, and it should shoot as well as any other more expensive brand. A good gunsmith can work magic with the standard Howa triggers to competition level. With respect to factory ammo. It is hit and miss as to whether the velocity/powder charge combo creates the barrel harmonic that gives good accuracy. Since there is not a lot of different factory loads in 6.5 PRC compared to other more common calibers, you may struggle to find ammo that hits the sweet spot of a particular rifle that you have chosen. In that case, your best bet is to go the hand load route. There are people who develop loads for others as an after hours job that can help in most areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    In that case, your best bet is to go the hand load route.
    Or possibly have a barrel tuner installed.
    My concern would be the cost of factory ammo.
    6.5 PRC is an excellent long-range cartridge, but reloading components are extremely expensive, and I assume ammo must be too.

User

With respect to reloading, 6.5 bullets are a dime a dozen, but the extra long high BC are harder to find. Cases are a once off, but 200 Lapua brass can set you back about 8K. Apparently the powders N565 and RL26 are quite specific and produce great velocities in the 6.5 PRC but they are a bit hard to come by. So I would agree, either way, its going to be a more expensive gun to feed than a common caliber. About 50% more as a rough cost. But still a fun project to explore!

What will be the purpose of caliber? If it’s competition shooting like ELR than the calibre is perfect. But like the other members mentioned that reloading is actually the only route.
    If it’s your average hunting in the bushveld with a shot or two that’s going to be longer range..than I don’t see why the other more common calibres won’t be an option.

will be good to know the purpose of the FA and will give us clarity and better advice from the more experienced guys here.

User

Thank you for all the responses so far.

I already have a .30 caliber which I use for bushveld hunting. The purpose of the new rifle will be to use it for hunting medium sized plains game.

I have decided on the caliber but would appreciate opinions on rifles, specifically the three in the original post.

Go Tikka Supervarmint and never look back. Essentially a Sako on a budget... Great rifles and buttery smooth actions

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by snakker View Post
    Go Tikka Supervarmint and never look back. Essentially a Sako on a budget... Great rifles and buttery smooth actions

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
    I can agree with this, spend the same amount on a scope and you will never look back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Tikka gets my vote. I would choose that action above some custom actions and they shoot great.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

I go with the same! Tikka all the way!! With budget FA you have to customise trigger etc. Tikka has it all :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast