Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Home Security System Improvements - SMS Alert, Remote Pepper Gas etc

I am trying to find some info on the DSC IP Alarm, this makes sense to me, managing your alarm via w web interface

User

Default Re: Home Security System Improvements - SMS Alert, Remote Pepper Gas etc

Quote Originally Posted by boondog View Post
    I am trying to find some info on the DSC IP Alarm, this makes sense to me, managing your alarm via w web interface
    Check here: http://www.elvey.co.za/ProductShowcase194.aspx

Apparently these guys don't sell to the public, so you'll have to buy from a security company.

User

Yip I spoke to them, the guy told me pricing less than 10k but more than 1k ???

User

Hi Thomast
    Any alarm system can be made portable, they all have or should have a battery back-up, standard alarm batteries last for 7 hrs (12v-7ah), but that can be change to any amount of hours depending on battery size. If you have a landy or any other vehicle which is running a second battery, you can connect it directly to that. If you are a DIYer like shooter it shouldn't be to diffecult. get yourself the cheapest wireless system and install it in a briefcase with a cable for the battery terminals and when you get to your camp site secure the PIRs to something that won't move at all, make sure all zones are programmed to instant and that should eliminate your delay issues. you dont need a remote cos the briefcase will be in the tent, but if you really want one get a standard ET 1ch receiver and a single button remote to arm and disarm the system.

as for the screamers, i THINK BW sells some sensors with sounders on them which are instant....not sure.

---------- Post added at 08:53 ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 ----------

ELVEY is not a reseller......they only supply us.

why exactly do you want your alarm IP monitored or are you going for dual monitoring with IP access to your alarm for the purpose of event monitoring by yourself?

User

I'd just make sure the alarm can arm when only on battery backup. IIRC my folks one can, but you need to do something else (enter code twice?)

Hondo, those bylaws you sent me to are pretty strict. I doubt many alarm installations by companies comply completely. If I'm going DIY, I'm using that thing as a reference.

User

Have you had a look at GSM Commander? I've played around with it a bit (no specifically wrt my alarm system), but it will be able to do exactly what you need, i.e. send you an SMS when your alarm is triggered, as well as accept inputs from your cellphone, like activating something on a specific keystroke, etc.

You will most commonly see these in security gates, etc. where you would dial a person's unit number, they get phones on their cell, and then they can remotely open the gate from their cellphone via a DTFM tone.

You can download the configuration software free from their website and see if it will be able to cater for your requirements. It's a very home brewed solution, but it might be a cost-effective way of getting what you want.

http://www.gsmcommander.com/

User

Thanks Cerop. I'm having a look at all these systems. Also the type Rudes sent me to. At this point I want to get the base system replaced/working and then hook up SMS later. Some of these SMS systems are "total" alarm systems too in addition to SMS (not close to e.g. Hondo's Paradox, I know) but still worth investigating. From a quick look at the GSM commander, it's more expensive than other SMS units I've encountered (it's more advanced).

User

Shooter. those bylaws are a good reference point, its designed to minimise risk.most poeple try to save money by adding as many devices per zone thereby minimising the amount of zones required. i've seen homes with more than 60 contacts on 2 zones. the problem that creates is that if the zone break or become faulty then thire are 30+ contacts not working and your home is now more at risk. therefore the bylaw states no more than 4 mags per zone. personally i think mags are a waste of time and money.

all alarm system should be able to arm on battery other than the the trouble condition (AC fail) notification.

User

The magnetic contacts I want to install are on my new sliding security gates, to the side of the door - hidden from outside view. My reasoning is that:

1. If they start on a security gate I could be alerted then already (outside PIR/beams could also work for this)
    2. I can make sure the gates are closed at night when arming (I check anyway, but what the hell it also checks :P )
    3. Can run some PIR's + the magnetic zone that includes all the security gates in the Stay mode before going to bed, and I can still open doors for cooling, etc during that time.

User

We have strip barrier beams for exactly this purpose, they come in diff. lenths and distances and are installed in front of the sliding door on the outside and they are quite cheap +- from R600 to around R2500 depending. i have them installed at my house. one of them is a 6 beam unit and the one unit covers the entire 1 side of my house which has 13 windows so if any onyone touch any of the windows it will ativate......no mags on windows...just remember all windows manufactured in south africa has the cornice on the outside so making it very easy to remove windows from the outside and therefore the mags wont even activate cos the magnetic field has not been interrupted.
    if you have a basic alarm system and it activate at night, make sure you geared up before investigating cos if its not a false alarm then the BG is already in house and he is armed with at least a screwdriver.
    thats why we preach early warning detection over interior sensors......ITS LIFE SAVING!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast