Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Frog legs?

Default Re: Frog legs?

Somewhat off topic, but Billy Connolly once said that the French are very lazy. He said no wonder they eat snails because it is the only thing they could catch.

User

Some angling shops sell some really big platannas. Maybe marinade in garlic and braai

User

Quote Originally Posted by Trayton View Post
    But I don't understand... Why? Pray tell, what is wrong with steak?

I get that some people are overly adventurous with their food but if it tastes like chicken, why not just eat chicken?

Anyway each to his own, hop to it then!
    If shooting at a target is just making holes in cardboard, why not just sit in your living room with a hole punch and poke snake eyes in all your targets?

Because how you do it, and everything around it, is fun.

User

I take every opportunity to munch on or drink things I haven't before.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Trayton View Post

I get that some people are overly adventurous with their food but if it tastes like chicken, why not just eat chicken?

!

Seen the price of chicken lately

Time to stretch out into the "other" chickens

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    If shooting at a target is just making holes in cardboard, why not just sit in your living room with a hole punch and poke snake eyes in all your targets?

Because how you do it, and everything around it, is fun.
    NHSA booted members for that sort of behavior.

User

Had a quick look at Google:

https://www.desertcart.co.za/product...egs-frozen-1kg

I've had them a few times - they are good - not a steak good but nice.

Defrost them completely -dry with paper towel and toss in a bit of seasoned flour and fry in butter and garlic - at the end toss in a hand full of parsley (works for a steak as well).

Let me tell you a story about snails:

We have a restaurant in the village next to us. France being a catholic country they mostly eat fish on Fridays. This bar look like nothing from the outside - but on Fridays in the summer the serve the best aioli I've ever eaten - Aioli is not garlic mayonnaise - it is a bit of boiled potato mixed into an emulsion with olive oil and tons of garlic.

It works like this:

You have to book - it is €20 per person. You only eat the "Plat du jour" - dish of the day - there is no hamburgers or pizzas or other choices. You sit down at Friday lunch time - 12pm- they bring you a pitcher of wine - rosé or white - they bring the sliced baguette in a little basket and you have a drink and sit in the shade and try and avoid the sun and listen to the sun beetles. There is around 150 other people sitting around you at their tables - some are drinking wine - some drink pastis - a liquorice flavoured drink with water. After a while they bring you a bowl fill of snails - from the snail farm just up the road. They are your normal garden snail. They are cooked in stock, wine and aromatics. A bowl full doesn't look like much but I've never seen 4 people finish the bowl. You take a toothpick and scrape out the flesh and dip it into the aioli and eat it. Awesome!

Then the main plat comes out -boiled cod, boiled eggs, steamed carrots, steamed potatoes on a huge serving board. Enough for how many people you have at your table. You serve yourself. Every bite gets dipped into the thick garlic aioli sauce. You either eat this dish with your wife or you risk divorce, because you will be smelling of garlic for the rest of the weekend...

At the end of the meal you ask for another bowl of the sauce and a doggy bag for the rest of the leftovers.

You won't be very productive for the rest of the Friday afternoon so it is better to put in half a day's leave. One of the great pleasures about living in the South of France. Not much use going boar hunting the next day either - they will be able to smell you from 2 miles away...

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    I take every opportunity to munch on or drink things I haven't before.
    Same. It's an adventure. Some things I'll skip, but overall, if I haven't tried it before, I'll try it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Steak gets boring but has its place. I started exploring and found that there are many other proteins that can give as much if not more joy than steak. But then you have to break out of the box.
    NB please note that some cultures/people claim that crickets are a very good source of protein. LoL

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Same. It's an adventure. Some things I'll skip, but overall, if I haven't tried it before, I'll try it.
    The only thing I have ever refused to try was a fermented egg in some kind of bean paste in a Japanese restaurant. My mate insisted on ordering and trying it despite the waiter awkwardly explaining to him that it wasn't intended for round eye. He narrowly avoided blowing chunks on the table.

When I was doing a lot of travelling for work I found there were few ways of rapidly building relationships than asking locals to take me to their favourite establishments and getting them to order me a popular dish and whatever was typically used to wash it down.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast