Default Custom Chassis Rifle For Paper/Gongs

Hi Everyone.

I am toying with the idea of building a rifle with a chassis for shooting paper/gongs , near and far.
    I am clueless as to where to start. What caliber, chassis, scope, silencer etc?
    How do I go about licensing it? S16? What is the exact process if for instance I join Natshoot?

Something like this.

My current guns are:

6.5x55 SE
    30-06

All on S15 licenses.

I might start reloading as well. The factory ammo between my current guns are expensive as it is.

Thanks

Default Re: Custom Chassis Rifle For Paper/Gongs

What is the purpose of the exercise?

If the goal is to learn, go for a .308 or possibly a .223.

If the purpose is to look as good as possible, then perhaps a 6mm ARC or 6mm Dasher (note you will probably need to hand-load for either of these) or 6mm or 6.5mm Creedmore.

The last is very similar to your current 6.5 x 55 though.

The first two cartridges are cheaper to shoot (both ammo cost and barrel life) but harder to shoot well at longer ranges due to mor3 wind drift and in the case of the .308, more recoil.

User

How long is a piece of string.......

Read this 1st, it will help you make a few choices:
    https://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/sho...oot-long-range

Second - start reloading and playing with your current rifles.
    You will be able to do 70/80% of what you want to do, with them.

Your answers are all dependent on how big your budget is.
    This is a LARGE hole you are going down and it will take money and time.

User

Quote Originally Posted by WoodsieEC View Post
    This is a LARGE hole you are going down and it will take money and time.
    A friend of mine went down this particular one. He has various starship trooperish rifles and one of them has glass on it that cost more than all 4 of my long guns combined. It is staggeringly accurate and the mage clarity and brightness of the scope at 500m is better than mine at 100. I'm very glad that I have avoided slipping into the hole as it looks a very, very expensive one indeed.

Ah easy, reload for that 6.5x55...
    Also the White Feather, God rest his soul, nipped a VC at 1000 odd yards with a 30.06 and a 175gr Matchking

User

Quote Originally Posted by Snapcap View Post
    Ah easy, reload for that 6.5x55...
    Also the White Feather, God rest his soul, nipped a VC at 1000 odd yards with a 30.06 and a 175gr Matchking
    Read this: https://www.sierrabullets.com/produc...pbt-matchking/

Carlos Hathcock was operating in the late '60s, using issued 173gr FMJBT Military LR Match ammo, probably LC issue.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the input thus far.

My shooting buddy got a 6.5 CM with a chassis etc. Maybe I should take a day with said rifle and see what I like and don't like.
    The goal is to have something i can burn a ton of rounds through at the range, accurately, effortlessly and economically.

I have put a lot of rounds throug my Sauer 6.5x55 since I got it last year. Just feels like I am gonna shoot the barrel finished quicker than I would like. (Although I keep telling myself that I know it won't happen.)
    All my rilfes are Sauers and they have a lot of sentimental value. I would like to keep them forever and pass them on to my boys one day. Thus only use them for the odd range day and hunting.

Budget wise I think around R50k for the action, chassis and scope. I don't think I would ever shoot beyond 1km.

I was thinking a Rem 700 in 6.5CM maybe as it has low recoil and my boys can also learn to shoot on it. One goes through a lot of effort and money to acquire a rifle. I do not plan on selling it later on and want to keep it forever so I want to get it right the first time.

Buy once cry once.

User

Quote Originally Posted by WAP View Post
    The goal is to have something i can burn a ton of rounds through at the range, accurately, effortlessly and economically.
    Buy once cry once.
    This here is the crux of your statement.. buy a 308, the barrel life should be around...5000ish rounds. Any decent action will do, but I would say just grab a Howa barreled action. Right now that should be about 13k. Look at Gunwarrior's latest chassis, it's a work of art, I think it's about 17k. Next, buy a Arken EP5 rifle scope. I'm partial to Arken since I run two, and mine tracks fine out to 2km. The EP5 is about 15k now. Otherwise there's a horde of other scope makes and manufacturers to look at, pick what you want. Grab some Lapua brass (about 2.5k) and maybe 168gr Hornady ELD-M bullets. Load with VV powder, shoot.

Nothing else is going to give you the barrel life of a 308 with your stated goals. I think TStone here on the forum shot out a 6.5 Creedmoor in 2200 rounds. Once you start hitting gongs reliably at 1km, the bug will bite, and you will want to go further.. it's an addiction harder than crack-cocaine and more expensive

Quote Originally Posted by WAP View Post

Budget wise I think around R50k for the action, chassis and scope.

Buy once cry once.
    Double your budget and you will be on par. I went through that exercise 2years ago.

My wife thinks i have a R24k tikka

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

If you have the time, money and "want", go for it.

If not certain, start of by using your 6.5 x 55 for long shots and get the feel of it. Most fellow marksmen on a range will help you and show you and really will not frown on you if you use your hunting rifle for a few shoots and hit a 1000 x 1000 mm target at 600 - 800 meter while still deciding but already learning a damn lot. Optics become crucial, but then it is not fixed. Getting decent optics for the 6.5 and if you continue with the sport just use them on your brand new chassis sporting rifle.