Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    Just want to say congratz, if it looks anything like the picture it is a stunning firearm.
    Thanks man. Yes looks exactly like the picture (with a much older scope and no sling unfortunately). I picked it up from the previous owner with a lot empty cases (new and fired) and bullets for 20k. I thought it was a good deal!

User

Quote Originally Posted by ArmedSandwich View Post
    I recently purchased and collected my new (to me) 300 Win Mag Steyr Mannlicher Model S. The firearm is about ~30 years old and I am the third owner. Now, given that it is a 300 Win Mag, and I want to use it to go hunting I am considering fitting a silencer. To do this the gunsmith would have to likely remove the front and back sights off of the barrel (stock picture included for reference).

Is it advisable to go ahead and do this? I know that it is my firearm, but a part of me feels like it isnt right. Although another part of me is thinking, wouldnt my ears be better off. What do you all think?

I could never! If you’re a purist, don’t do it!

User

Default Re: Should I fit a silencer?

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    I could never! If you’re a purist, don’t do it!
    Ha ha, you've pinned me like a bug. Have a minty mid 90's Winchester Mod 70 that I would love to fit with a suppressor but can't get past modifying. It's hardly a collectible or special thing but my walnut and blued steel geek . . . . I'd best get to shooting out that barrel.

User

That's the spirit

I was a bit squeamish about chopping up fairly decent rifles to fit silencers but once I did it, I haven't looked back.

Of course a true collectible is different. But then you not going to be using your vintage H&H or Rigby to knock about in the rocks or thorns anyway.

User

I have 3 old Musgraves and also cannot bring myself to putting silencers on them even though I know its the right thing and more and more farms are wanting them fitted...

User

I was against fitting a silencer to my 300WM. The only reason i eventually succumbed, was because of the recoil and losing your sight picture of the animal i was hunting. Recoil is much more manageable now and i can see if it's a hit or not.

User

Weird thing with silencers is that when Maxim came up with them they exploded in popularity and might have become a near standard fitment to noisy civilian guns if it weren't for us legislation (the NFA of 1934) which was enacted in part as a response to the violent gangsterism of the 20s and thirties.

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    I have 3 old Musgraves and also cannot bring myself to putting silencers on them even though I know its the right thing and more and more farms are wanting them fitted...
    I know exactly how you feel.
    I had 3 magnificent Sako collectible rifles for years that I could hardly bring myself to shoot at the range. With
    the kids living overseas I eventually sold them and gave them the money. My go - to rifle was a .308 which I still
    have. Cheap, tupperware stock, fragile but I have shot many, many animals with it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Luker View Post
    My go - to rifle was a .308 which I still have. Cheap, tupperware stock, fragile but I have shot many, many animals with it.
    When and if I get to start doing a bit of furred game hunting that will be exactly what I do. 308 in preferably second hand Howa, Tikka, Remington or similar flavour with a silencer and an epoxy and glass fibre reinforced and bedded tupperware stock. Won't so much as wince when it takes it's first ding.

Just a thought, before you decide, take it hunting without a silencer. Affordable in ear electronic ear pro is available to protect your hearing. I have worn out two barrels on a .300 win mag while hunting and never felt the need for a silencer.

As to whether you should or should not fit a silencer to that Steyr, that is your choice. It is not a collectable rifle like a Mannlicher Schoenauer or an original A-type Oberndorf Mauser would be. In firearm terms 30 years is not old at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2