Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Should I fit a silencer?

I recently purchased and collected my new (to me) 300 Win Mag Steyr Mannlicher Model S. The firearm is about ~30 years old and I am the third owner. Now, given that it is a 300 Win Mag, and I want to use it to go hunting I am considering fitting a silencer. To do this the gunsmith would have to likely remove the front and back sights off of the barrel (stock picture included for reference).

Is it advisable to go ahead and do this? I know that it is my firearm, but a part of me feels like it isnt right. Although another part of me is thinking, wouldnt my ears be better off. What do you all think?

User

Default Re: Should I fit a silencer?

A competent gunsmith will be able to move the front sight back, enough to accommodate the silencer. Also, make a thread protector to match the barrel profile. At the end of the day, it will be your choice, but it is possible to keep the classic look and have a silencer too.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

User

If you want to hunt with it, many farms wants you to use silencer.

User

Just want to say congratz, if it looks anything like the picture it is a stunning firearm.

Gunsmiths can move the front sight back, to accommodate threading. Perhaps consider non-reflex silencers only, as you won't need to have extra barrel coverage, and the front sight can stay more forward.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

User

let me begin with i love rifles

this may not pass with the other members but truth be told you will never shoot the rifle open sights , and a 300WM is nicer with a silencer.
    i would remove both open sights and always shoot it with scope and silencer .

good luck

At the end of the day it is still just a tool.
    If there is some collectors or sentimental value, that is different; but if you're going to use it to hunt, then mold it to your needs.

User

Unless you're absolutley convinced your rifle shouldn't have a silencer, then the answer is to fit one. Guaranteed you won't look back
    The 300WM is a bit snappy, especially in Euro configuration like that. Your shooting will certainly improve with the silencer. If you want to treat yourself, you could go for a fancy lightweight or titanium model that would impact the balance minimally.

If you need some semi-solid reasoning, just think that the barrel has done some work already (the Win Mag does burn barrels) and if you're so heartbroken about removing the fixed sights, you could refit them when the barrel repalcement happens. Or something like that!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Desperatezulu View Post
    If you need some semi-solid reasoning, just think that the barrel has done some work already (the Win Mag does burn barrels) and if you're so heartbroken about removing the fixed sights, you could refit them when the barrel repalcement happens. Or something like that!
    I need to hire you for negotiations with my wife. You've got skills.

Ask them to move front sight back a little bit and get decent not to long forward silencer.

Unfortunately the decent shorter once is expensive. Like the Ase SL5.

Otherwise Atec over barrel but then the Front sight is off for now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast