Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44
  1. #1
    User
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Age
    39
    Posts
    204

    Default Affordable Precision Rifle Build

    Introduction

    I have been looking for a precision rifle for quite some time, 4 years, actually, and the day has finally arrived. As we are a single income family, funds for toys are limited, so some careful planning was in order. First I had to decide what the purpose of the rifle would be, as after a significant amount of research, it was clear that precision rifles and the sport niche they fill are much broader than just what the name implies. In line with T Stones post recently, I decided that it was unlikely that I would be shooting further than 1000m. I set this as a limit as the expense per 100m past 1km becomes substantial. Secondly, due to my limited budget, it would have to be built from budget orrientated components. After lots and lots of googling, I settled on the following:

    Howa 6.5 creedmoor 26" heavy barrel
    Serval Tactical Gear Invictus
    Vortex venom 5-25 FFP MRAD scope
    Nightforce 20 MOA Rail
    UTG bipod

    I bought the rifle in at the end of July and applied on the 16th of August. The license was approved on the 3rd of October, which was quite a pleasant surprise.

    The chasis was ordered at the end of September, and I took delivery today.

    The aim of this thread is to chronical the journey into precision rifle shooting. I am a complete novice at this sport but, hopefully my learnings along the way can help other people as well.

    The rifle as setup at Serval Tactical's workshop.



    Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    User
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Age
    39
    Posts
    204

    Default Re: Affordable Precision Rifle Build

    Cost of the build

    The cost below and where the components were purchased are detailed below:

    Barreled action - Safari & Outdoor (only place that had stock of the 26" barrel left) R16250

    Invictus chassis system - Serval Tactical Gear. (Their service is second to none a d the quality of the product is se ond to none. I have no affiliation to this company of the owner.) R10550 including PMag and thumb rest. He sommer installed the BA and torqued all the screws at no cost.

    Vortex Venom 5-25 FFP Mrad - S&O R11300 on special

    Nightforce 20moa rail - S&O R1680

    UTG bipod - Zimbi R2260

    Scope rings - I had some, may still change them

    Silencer - not yet, thinking of APW warbird R4155

    Rifle total = R46195

    Sundries for the project

    RCBS 2 die set - Brothers Arms R1300

    Lapua SRP brass - Obaro Silver Lakes R2650

    Lapua scenar OTM 140gr - Zimbi R860

    CCI BR4 SR Primers - Zimbi R300

    Case trimmer Lee R245

    Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk

  3. #3

    Default Re: Affordable Precision Rifle Build

    Looks Pretty Impressive.

  4. #4
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sandton
    Posts
    8,708

    Default Re: Affordable Precision Rifle Build

    Congrats! I'm sure it will give you much pleasure. For my interest, can the chassis accomodate a grip other than the vertical one in the pic? Looks like it may take AR pattern grips but can't be sure.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Affordable Precision Rifle Build

    Try Forster Dies when you get a chance.

    Delivers very good ammunition due to how the expander ball works as well as how Dies support cases during reloading.

  6. #6
    User
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Age
    39
    Posts
    204

    Default Re: Affordable Precision Rifle Build

    Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Congrats! I'm sure it will give you much pleasure. For my interest, can the chassis accomodate a grip other than the vertical one in the pic? Looks like it may take AR pattern grips but can't be sure.
    Thanks!
    Yes, he has an AR style grip as well, and he mentioned that it is patterned on the AKs grip pattern.

    Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    User
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Age
    39
    Posts
    204

    Default Re: Affordable Precision Rifle Build

    Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Try Forster Dies when you get a chance.

    Delivers very good ammunition due to how the expander ball works as well as how Dies support cases during reloading.
    I will definitely take a look. I considered the new rcbs collet style die as well but no one has stock of the collets

    Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    User
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,956

    Default Re: Affordable Precision Rifle Build

    I love everything I see here! If you're going to try your hand at PRS, can I suggest a muzzle brake over a suppressor? I used to run a suppressor on my 6.5, changed to a Gunwarrior muzzle brake and it made a big difference in being able to spot hits and misses.

    I've been to the Serval Tactical factory in Pta, owner runs a solid business and their chassis are great value!

  9. #9
    User
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Age
    39
    Posts
    204

    Default Re: Affordable Precision Rifle Build

    Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    I love everything I see here! If you're going to try your hand at PRS, can I suggest a muzzle brake over a suppressor? I used to run a suppressor on my 6.5, changed to a Gunwarrior muzzle brake and it made a big difference in being able to spot hits and misses.

    I've been to the Serval Tactical factory in Pta, owner runs a solid business and their chassis are great value!
    I am also keen on a brake instead of the silencer, but most of the ranges I've shot at have issues with them. What is your opinion on a braked silencer such as the APW warbird or the warrior? Does the brake have any effect?

    Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk

  10. #10

    Default Re: Affordable Precision Rifle Build

    Quote Originally Posted by MariusT View Post
    I am also keen on a brake instead of the silencer, but most of the ranges I've shot at have issues with them. What is your opinion on a braked silencer such as the APW warbird or the warrior? Does the brake have any effect?

    Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk
    I've seen excellent reviews on the warrior tuned silencer/brake combo

    Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •