Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Glock slide pitting

Quote Originally Posted by Gleock View Post
    I would bet my left nut that there is no corrosion in those indentations, even under a microscope.

I have never seen pitting on firearms with that level of definition in the edge of the pitting, with the pitting only limited to the high spots.
    Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Four years of edc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gleock View Post
    Those look like indentations from the vice when your sights were fitted.

Edit to answer the original question: Eezox
    So I can confirm that it has nothing to do with the sights, I fitted those literally yesterday, (finally moved from the original plastic sights) the marks were noticed 2 weeks ago.

I have already updated my holster I got a Daniel’s with the sweat guard. I had cut down my previous kydex holster’s sweat guard, I now kick myself for that…

User

The coating on the gen 5 Glocks is a different process and composition I believe.

Not sure if for better or worse.

Not sure if I am looking at the right thing.

I see some indentations on flat surfaces, but the coating appears to be intact, in which case it can't be corrosion unless the pistol has been re-finished at some point (in which case the pitting happened before the re-finishing) and I see some damage to the coating on the forward corners of the slide serrations. But I don't see any pitting there?

Quote Originally Posted by Heath Robinson View Post
    Not sure if I am looking at the right thing.

I see some indentations on flat surfaces, but the coating appears to be intact, in which case it can't be corrosion unless the pistol has been re-finished at some point (in which case the pitting happened before the re-finishing) and I see some damage to the coating on the forward corners of the slide serrations. But I don't see any pitting there?
    So the “damage” to the coating on the corners of the serrations are lots of little pits. The gun has never been refinished. I’m mot entirely sure if the indentations on the flat parts are past the coating but I think they are.

User

I wonder if they aren't just flaws in the coating?

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    I wonder if they aren't just flaws in the coating?
    What I was thinking. Either that, or some sort of impact damage?

Doesn't look like pitting to me. But, I am just looking at a photo.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Heath Robinson View Post
    What I was thinking. Either that, or some sort of impact damage?

Doesn't look like pitting to me. But, I am just looking at a photo.
    I had something similar once with Kalgard when I had either applied it too thick, not let it gas off sufficiently before baking or perhaps it was both of those.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

I bet there are thousands of Glocks of all generations that have some sort of "pitting or marks or dents or whatever" on the slides where body contact occurs at a regular basis. Mine is one of them. It started looking like that after 3 years of carry. Holster changed to get leather between pistol and skin. The "pitting" dissapeared again over the years. With a magnifying glass they might still be seen. It never developed beyond marks on the coating up to "rust" on the metal, so I am of opinion the coating did exactly what it is supposed to do.

Will it get worse? Probably not.

Does it bother me? Nope. For 15 years of everyday carry, and I mean everyday like in always, and in harsh environments and use because of my work, my Glock still looks and work better than most of the other tools I constantly use and abuse.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast