Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by ady View Post
    I loaded Sierra SP bullets for this purpose, but i chatted to a mate of mine in SAPS and he said a normal FMJ is devastating from what he has experienced and it makes sense at the speed that little bullet is traveling. There is a lot of energy being dumped in a target.

I've found that some of the exposed lead tips have deformed along the way.
    The millspec ammo is loaded to 5.56 pressures and some of it is really motoring. It is unlikely that the average reloader will get close. Perhaps only a consideration with a short barrel AR though.

User

Default Re: Loading .224 55gr SP for AR

The military's 5.56 FMJ damage is very much due to bullet instability and velocity when passing through a target from what I could read. In all honesty we as civilians are not limited to military FMJ type ammo if you want the best defensive bullet search the internet and get a proper bullet that will suit your rifle twist and barrel length.

User

Quote Originally Posted by StanCT View Post
    Thought SP might make a better SD round.
    I would think a expanding mono copper bullet would be significantly better for that purpose. It will expand without breaking up, penetrate much deeper and will be much less affected by barriers from clothing to car windscreens. Just make sure it goes fast enough from your barrel to expand reliably and will stabilize in your barrel's twist.

I have loaded these to use in my m&p sport and saiga mk102. They were cheaper than cmj so I bought them. It worked flawlessly in the AK. Got some jams in the AR. changed the powder load and crimp and it then worked fine. I recently tried this in my AR pistol without much success. Busy troubleshooting at the moment. Will update here soon.

User

Thank you for all the responses - some useful points to consider.

Update I ran both the 55gr Hornady varmint and CMJ in my gun (AR15 Shorty) suppressed and unsuppressed. Both functioned flawlessly. I am shooting 25m and under. My recommendation is to buy the cheaper one and shoot more.

User

Quote Originally Posted by -=zv=- View Post
    Update I ran both the 55gr Hornady varmint and CMJ in my gun (AR15 Shorty) suppressed and unsuppressed. Both functioned flawlessly. I am shooting 25m and under. My recommendation is to buy the cheaper one and shoot more.
    I fully agree on that statement. Go for best bang per buck. But the locally made cmj 55gn bullets didn't work in my Mini14.

What I did find, especially with a small suppressed AR, is that it needs to be cleaned and generously oiled to run well.

Are these the Hornady varmint 55gr SP?

Quote Originally Posted by StanCT View Post
    Greetings all,

Does anybody have experience or advice re the practicality of using a 224 SP bullet, like the Hornady 55gr, when loading for AR?

With their lead tips, might these bullets be more prone to jamming around the feedramps of a semi-auto and preferably be used in a bolt-action?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2