Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Killing stray dogs.

Hi Guys. Need a little help. What is the rules around the shooting of stray dogs on farms.

Had an interesting episode today. I have had a dog come sniffing round my house for the pas couple of weeks. My dogs that sleep inside obviously takes umbrage to the intruder. This wakes me my wife my 3 year old and to top it all my 4 month old. I have tried to find the owner and have sent out numerous threats that its days are numbered. Monday evening it happened again. I took my 308 and put a 150 grain gameking between its eyes at about 40m. Not pretty.The owner then suddenly appeared via a phone call and ask me who is now going to protect his kids. My sarcasm about not being aware that his kids lived in my dustbin did not go down well. I told him to go away.

This afternoon two uniformed policeman pitched up at my office. They came to talk with me about the fact that I had shot the dog. I did not entertain them because I was already late to take my wife to the airport.

As far as I know I was in my rights but this pissed me off something fierce. I have had two burglaries on the farm of goods in excess of R100 000. We found the culprits. There was fingerprints. I had to lick the local copshop for 2 days before they made an appearance. they then decided not to pursue the matter because of "lack of evidence".

User

Default Re: Killing stray dogs.

The dog obviously attacked you as you left your house to investigate the noise. Good thing you had your rifle with you.

Quote Originally Posted by jmb View Post
    I had to lick the local copshop for 2 days before they made an appearance. they then decided not to pursue the matter because of "lack of evidence".
    That sounds about right. I had my game fence cut (top to bottom) at 3 different areas all in one night. That was more than a year ago.... maybe I'll get feedback from the police soon.

User

There was a similar incident locally where a farmer shot a dog on his farm. Turned out to be a pet of someone in a nearby suburb. Big hoohaa in the local press by the dogowner, but farmer was within his right to eliminate threat to his livestock. As far as I remember it was a storm in a teacup.

User

I unfortunatley don't know any specific rules, but how things are done here you should be okay. We follow "rules of common decency". If you know who the dogs belong to, talk to them. If it is a small lap dog, and not going to do damage try find the owner. If a dog does do damage the owner must pay for it. If the problem persists or the dog is doing damage it gets shot.
    A couple of years ago there were big issues. A local farmer was hunting and three of his dogs got away. They got onto a small farm where the owner does not hunt, and does all in his power to conserve the dwindling game. The next day he saw them chasing a bushbuck ewe and young. He shot two of them, major issues, but no legal problems.

User

Shoot it.It could be used for illegal hunting of your game(poaching).Another tactic is sending a bitch on heat to get your male dogs attention which hepls plan for the break in.If it is on your property on a farm I think no one can stop you killing it.You never know what danger it can pose to you,your wife and kids.

I once killed a dog with a hammer (all I had to hand at the time) after it jumped our concrete fence and proceeded to try and chew our Labrador's front paw off. The owner was super pissed off as it was his prize Bull Terrier and boy did he whinge and whine but the cops and the SPCA told him to get lost as:
    a) His dog had jumped our fence; &
    b) his dog had killed and mutilated a few other dogs in the neighbourhood.

Years later he had another Bull Terrier which also jumped our fence and took on our Boerbul - no contest, the Bull Terrier only just survived.

They say that dogs take after their owners and this guy's dogs were all as agressive as he was.

User

If you cannot keep it on your own property do not whine when it gets taken out.

User

It's amazing how people get all righteous and pissed off when one of their animals (that they are responsible for) gets dealt with. This after they have been warned and been complained to "keep your animals under control".

Then it's suddenly all your fault and complaints are laid, etc. "Poor dog was a good boy and just turning his life around and now this happened". I've never shot a dog, but our neighbouring farmers shoot unknown stray dogs on their property on sight. In the city our neighbour let her boerboel walk free. Chased cars and people all the time. Ran in front of my car one day and I could not stop in time. Very badly injured but survived. The police and SPCA were notified, lawyers were consulted! It was MY fault. Police told me she is responsible and negligent :)

User

Next time, instead of discharging your firearm, Get SWATG to teach you how to kill it with a mini maglight.

User

At the same time you should make an effort to keep dogs off your property by physical barriers if possible.

I don't understand dog owners who let their pets roam the earth. They should be held directly responsible for the actions of their animals. We have several animals running around in the street near my home. As far as I know it is illegal?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast