Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: Killing stray dogs.

as far as I am concerned the owner has no recourse against you, you did try and locate the owner to no avail and lets be fair, if you are on a farm your neighbour is not 10 meters away from you, could be kilometers away so they are really not looking after the dog and it is definately not protecting anyones kids.

I knocked a dog over a month ago and it was severly injured, neck and shoulder stuffed and both front legs broken. I thought of shooting it but i was in suburbia and I'm sure that would have had some serious reprocussions.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Lindzeyva View Post
    as far as I am concerned the owner has no recourse against you, you did try and locate the owner to no avail and lets be fair, if you are on a farm your neighbour is not 10 meters away from you, could be kilometers away so they are really not looking after the dog and it is definately not protecting anyones kids.

I knocked a dog over a month ago and it was severly injured, neck and shoulder stuffed and both front legs broken. I thought of shooting it but i was in suburbia and I'm sure that would have had some serious reprocussions.
    Be honest man, you didnt want to waste expensive bullets. Did you use your maglite or what to despatch the critter?

How did it end, the reprocussions and all?

User

NICE

So you are the busted that shot my dog !!!

I will see you in court buddy, my lawyers are ready for you.

LOL just kidding.

I agree speed or park illegally you will get nailed. Murder somebody no problem. So the solution is to shoot the owner.

User

a farmer in our region had the same problem as you. he kinda knew who's dogs it were, but the owner denied it. one night the dog bit 4 sheep. the farmer killed the dog and he had to put the 4 sheep out of their misery. suddenly the owner pitched up and demanded he be compensated for the dog. the farmer very patiently asked the owner to confirm in writing that it was his dog. as soon as he had this confirmation( which by default is a confirmation of resonsibility/ liability) he took it to his lawyer and they sued the dog owner for the 4 ewes and the loss of offspring in the years to come. the only involvement the police had was taking the farmers statement that he indeed shot the dog on his property. this was about 4 or 5 years ago.

my father -in -law had lost a couple of ewes to the neighbor's dogs one night. he shot one but two escaped. the neighbor phone to confirmed the incident. he apologized shot the two remaining dogs himself and bought my father the same number of sheep at the next auction.

so, it seems you will be fine.

---------- Post added at 10:29 ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 ----------

having said all this, i only had to kill one problem dog in my life. i hope i never have to repeat that. it was a bad experience, in the end it it is the owners fault but the dog pays the price.

User

A couple of years ago two of our six bull terriers forced their way under the fence and went on a chicken and duck killing spree on a neighbouring smallholding. The owner shot both of our dogs. My dad and I went over and apologised and offered to compensate for the loss. No problem, right? That was untill the owner turned away and said over his shoulder, "Ag, I'll easily shoot you too".
    In Afrikaans' "Ag, ek skiet sommer vir jou ook vrek".

Uncool. Very f*cking uncool.

User

The problem I have is that this was an ex labourer of my neighbours dog. He is still living in a house on my neighbours property who have been trying for 2 years to evict him. I am hearing stories of the police arrsting farmers for shooting stray dogs and even confiscating fire arms. I always thought that stray dogs are problem animals and as such may be killed on sight. Has anyone got any knowledge of the legal aspect of this. I really do not want to get is shit about this but I really!! do not want to have to eat crow and work out a settlement with this idiot.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Musgrave View Post
    A couple of years ago two of our six bull terriers forced their way under the fence and went on a chicken and duck killing spree on a neighbouring smallholding. The owner shot both of our dogs. My dad and I went over and apologised and offered to compensate for the loss. No problem, right? That was untill the owner turned away and said over his shoulder, "Ag, I'll easily shoot you too".
    In Afrikaans' "Ag, ek skiet sommer vir jou ook vrek".

That makes me shake my head in disbelief.You should have offered him klippies and flat coke...he seems the type.

User

Quote Originally Posted by jmb View Post
    The problem I have is that this was an ex labourer of my neighbours dog. He is still living in a house on my neighbours property who have been trying for 2 years to evict him. I am hearing stories of the police arrsting farmers for shooting stray dogs and even confiscating fire arms. I always thought that stray dogs are problem animals and as such may be killed on sight. Has anyone got any knowledge of the legal aspect of this. I really do not want to get is shit about this but I really!! do not want to have to eat crow and work out a settlement with this idiot.
    These oke were working WITH the police: http://www.sacan.co.za/?p=1281

What would the charge be for getting arrested? I'll also be interested in a legal response, as a mate of mine in the eastern Free State regularly shoot stray dogs on the grounds of the hotel where he is the manager.

"Ag, ek skiet sommer vir jou ook vrek".

very uncalled for!!

User

"Ag, ek skiet sommer vir jou ook vrek".

Seems like you guys manned up and tried to do the right thing.

Some people are just plain crazy (one neighboring farmer comes to mind. Does the strangest things. No worker can last more than a few days. No one can interact with him and his family).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast