User

Default Selling a firearm with an expired white license?

I have sold one of my rifles, to a private buyer, and the current license expires in a few months time. If the new buyer takes too long to license the firearm, and my white license expires, will he still be able to license it from an expired license holder?

User

Default Re: Selling a firearm with an expired white license?

He should apply before it expires.

After expired depends far too much on the DFO. There have been successful applicants under the Fidelity order as third party, especially in KZN but many other DFOs refuse to accept them.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    I have sold one of my rifles, to a private buyer, and the current license expires in a few months time. If the new buyer takes too long to license the firearm, and my white license expires, will he still be able to license it from an expired license holder?
    It might be an idea to work with a dealer and get him to book it into dealer stock. The new buyer can pay an admin fee and storage fees until the license is approved.

My understanding, taken from my dfo, it is the same as having started the renewal process. Once captured, the old licence can expire. Just keep keep a copy of the proof of application (receipt) with the firearm should the plods come checking as insurance. I bought 2 firearms this way. Handed in license a week prior to expiration. This was in 2021 even before fidelity judgement.

Reread your post and see the nuance to what I describe. Might be different if the license was not yet in the system prior to expiry. Worthwhile to chat to the DFO. Might still get away with it under fidelity judgement.

User

I have bought a few that had licenses that expired after I handed in apps. One had only a few weeks of validity remaining. If the buyer has months to go before expiry perhaps he should be encouraged to get with it.