Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Advice on arrest for speeding

Quote Originally Posted by andy_760901 View Post
    I was arrested doing. 151 in a 100 zone apparently the sign was pushed 90 degrees and I thought it was 120. I had the limiter on my BMW 330d sport set to 129. But clicked it off to overtake a car in front of me as I was coming back into my lane to switch back down I saw a torch. This was at 1am on Christmas Day and I was going from PTA to EL in the Eastern Cape. They released me on 2000 bail and I appeared a few days later plead guilty and stated this was the first time I had ever had an arrest able driving offence. I got 6 months probation and had to pay an additional R500plus my bail in the way of a fine. And swore never to do it again. That was like 6 years ago now at least.
    if he just explains the situation as it was and apologises to the court. This being his first offence I am sure the magistrate will warn him and give him probation and that’s that. And if story. That was my result anyways
    Thank you

User

Don't know how friendly your court is but go try have a chat to the magistrate before the court date.

If a clean record is important to the guy, at least let a lawyer review the facts of the case, there are a lot of mistakes that can be taken advantage of, missing calibration certificates, operator certificates, court approval for the trapping location, non-compliance to the approval conditions etc.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gleock View Post
    there are a lot of mistakes that can be taken advantage of, missing calibration certificates, operator certificates, court approval for the trapping location, non-compliance to the approval conditions etc.
    Question. How was the speed measured? Did he saw the speed reading?

Question. Is the speed reading date and time stamped? What prevent a speedcop from not resetting the device and a hour later pull you over with a previous speedster reading still on display?

User

Quote Originally Posted by zguy View Post
    40km/h above the speed limit i believe is automatic arrest.
    30 km/h urban area or built up area.
    40 km/h rural area.

User

there are a lot of mistakes that can be taken advantage of, missing calibration certificates, operator certificates, court approval for the trapping location, non-compliance to the approval conditions etc.
    Saw a program where speedcops setup's was checked checked by Dir Public Prosecution and another by Carte Blance. Putting device tripod one leg inside car to stay out of the sun. Rookie speedcops operating device without training. Speedcops moved 200 m from designated approved point to sit in shade,

User

There was an attorney that used to advertise in the paper Junkmail years back. Think his name was Eastes and his service was to use his light aircraft to fly to wherever it was that you'd been nailed for drunk driving or road racing and mess with the local plod's mojo. A friend of a friend used his services once after crashing a car pissed driving to fetch booze at a bachelors weekend in some rural area and he reckoned the oke just ate them on every possible error they'd made. There were enough that he never went to court and charges were withdrawn.

User

Don't know how friendly your court is but go try have a chat to the magistrate before the court date.

If a clean record is important to the guy, at least let a lawyer review the facts of the case, there are a lot of mistakes that can be taken advantage of, missing calibration certificates, operator certificates, court approval for the trapping location, non-compliance to the approval conditions etc.
    I know someone who drove drunk, crashed into a barrier, and woke up with police surrounding his car. He was arrested and processed.
    Released on bail. Lawyer got the case thrown out because they took the blood sample something like 30 minutes later than the allowed window period. And some form was filled incorrectly.
    So no criminal record, he can thank his lucky stars. It did cost him a bit of $$

His insurance, however, refused to repair his vehicle and cancelled his policy. Which is still better than a record.
    But i can bet going forward , he will struggle to get insurance.

Honestly. Your defending your Daughters Boyfriend for breaking the law and trying to justify it because was for work. Come on.

There is no excuse for breaking speed limits like this. There is a reason for the limits as people mostly innocent once die yearly from people breaking speed limits thinking its fine.

If he needed to get vehicle up to 100kmh speed then go on a freeway.

Dont go breaking the law and say was for work.

Work cant force you to act illegal.

Sorry I have zero sympathy for anyone doing a 100 in a 60 zone.

Hope he gets punished accordingly and learns from this.

User

Quote Originally Posted by gary-t View Post
    I do not condone his actions.
    The OP was clear on his view. I'd say your are being pissy. A life can be altered from a relatively small infraction. Unless you are some kind of later day saint you probably also did some dumb shit when young.

User

Yeah my advice is to lawyer the fuck up, been arrested? Ask on gunsite for help? Nope the world does not work like that, get a lawyer, even a very shitty and cheap one, speeding is a slap on the wrist in our beautiful country…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast