Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Re: Advice on arrest for speeding

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Honestly. Your defending your Daughters Boyfriend for breaking the law and trying to justify it because was for work. Come on.

There is no excuse for breaking speed limits like this. There is a reason for the limits as people mostly innocent once die yearly from people breaking speed limits thinking its fine.

If he needed to get vehicle up to 100kmh speed then go on a freeway.

Dont go breaking the law and say was for work.

Work cant force you to act illegal.

Sorry I have zero sympathy for anyone doing a 100 in a 60 zone.

Hope he gets punished accordingly and learns from this.
    The OP said he didn't condone the BF's actions and was asking for advice on the way forward - your post hasn't assist him in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by gary-t View Post
    Hi.

My daughter's boyfriend was arrested for speeding yesterday. He works at a motor dealership workshop, and he was test driving a vehicle that apparently had a flat spot between 80 -100kmph. He was caught at 101kmph in a 60 zone and arrested. My wife and daughter spent most of the day yesterday getting him bail. He has to appear in court next Monday. He contacted an attorney, who wants R10 000 to represent him. This is not an option.

What are his options and the possible outcome? Can anyone give advice?

I do not condone his actions.
    I think a lawyer is the best option and worth throwing money towards, as difficult as that is. The risk of not having some legal guidance is significant and not worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by andy_760901 View Post
    I was arrested doing. 151 in a 100 zone apparently the sign was pushed 90 degrees and I thought it was 120. I had the limiter on my BMW 330d sport set to 129. But clicked it off to overtake a car in front of me as I was coming back into my lane to switch back down I saw a torch. This was at 1am on Christmas Day and I was going from PTA to EL in the Eastern Cape. They released me on 2000 bail and I appeared a few days later plead guilty and stated this was the first time I had ever had an arrest able driving offence. I got 6 months probation and had to pay an additional R500plus my bail in the way of a fine. And swore never to do it again. That was like 6 years ago now at least.
    if he just explains the situation as it was and apologises to the court. This being his first offence I am sure the magistrate will warn him and give him probation and that’s that. And if story. That was my result anyways
    Can you do deal directly with SAPS to pay admission of guilt fine without having to go through a magistrate? Maybe someone has a contact for a magistrate friend who can provide guidance?

User

Honestly. Your defending your Daughters Boyfriend for breaking the law and trying to justify it because was for work. Come on.

There is no excuse for breaking speed limits like this. There is a reason for the limits as people mostly innocent once die yearly from people breaking speed limits thinking its fine.

Have you never driven faster than 120KM/Hr?

User

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    Violation: Exceeding the speed limit by: Fine
    Between 26 km/h and 30 km/h R1 000
    Between 31 km/h and 35 km/h R1 250
    Between 36 km/h 40 km/h R1 500
    Above 40 km/h Court
    Mine was apparantly 120 in an 80 zone, yet I was over taken by 3 cars

This is Mathubathuba KZN, not the place you wanna spend a weekend in jail

2 hours on the side of the road, eventually I realized this poes was acting funny, Private red Audi, showing me all the paperwork in his boot

When I asked him who will look after my firearm, the panic set in

"WHAT GUN! YOU JUST CAME FROM MOZAMBIQUE" (we book our guns in at Hluhluhwe)

Anyways he walked around with my 9mm talking to taxi drivers, I gave him my 5 magazines, then he was like this is alot of trouble

Reaches in my car and grabs a bottle of Tipotinto cheap ass Rum

Says get out of here

Real gems in KZN

User

Banana republicans do banana republic things. I did 100 through a section of road that I had driven dozens of times in the past that had just been upgraded. It had always been a 100kmh zone but during the road works, which were over by this time, it had been reduced to 50 but I hadn't noticed the signs if they were there at all. Got pulled over by a friendly traffic plod who proceeded to do the bribe solicitation monkey dance by telling me all about the delights to be found in the local cells and reminding me that between christmas and new years the wheels of justice moved very slowly. He needn't have bothered as having spent some time in cells in jhb over the years i wasn't about to test my luck in deep rural transkei. Gave him R300, the sum total of all bribes I have ever paid to the plod, and on receiving it quite openly and in plain sight of at least 5 people walking past on the road he added it to a very thick pile that he pulled from his jacket pocket so that I could get an admiring look at it. I wouldn't be surprised if an 'agent' approaches the young guy to solicit a bribe to make it go away.

Damn bud.
    So glad you have NEVER gone over the speed limit.... EVER.
    So glad you NEVER had a beer and drove.... EVER.
    So glad you always stop for full 3 seconds AT EVERY.SINGLE.STOP.STREET.
    So glad you ALWAYS do a safety check on your vehicle before you get in.
    So glad you ALWAYS indicate when changing lanes.
    So glad you ALWAYS drive in the left lane and NEVER sit in the fast lane.
    So glad you ALWAYS get your windscreen repaired, immediately.
    So gald you ALWAYS drive with both hands on the steering wheel and NEVER eat or drink while driving.

I mean we could go on....
    Israeli Carry is for dead people

Gary, if this is his first offense and there is no record, generally the Magistrate / Prosecutor are human beings and they do have mercy.

Ask him to go in and have a chat, they are pretty amenable most of the times I've been in to chat to them.

If he's had issues before, then it's a different story.

He definitely has learnt a lesson though.
    Israeli Carry is for dead people

User

Is the air thin up there on your high horse?

I'm glad you make zero mistakes

User

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    Can you do deal directly with SAPS to pay admission of guilt fine without having to go through a magistrate? Maybe someone has a contact for a magistrate friend who can provide guidance?
    Going to talk to a cop is not going to accomplish anything. An admission of guilt fine can only be paid when the cops (or metro) issue a fine. (And SAPS dont issue fines for speeding)

In this case the suspect was arrested for Reckless and negligent driving. That will be the main charge. He has exactly one option. To be in court on the day of trial.

That being said... IF he is a first time offender he would do good to aproach the state prosecutor in advance and state that he regrets his actions etc. and that he is willing to do community service etc to avoid a criminal record. (Mind you the possible criminal record would be a transgression of the Road traffic Act, not the Crimonal procedures act.)

Chances are if he is genuinly sorry and does not have a cocky attitude in front of the magistrate and offers out of his own to do something like community service he may probably end up having to report to a local cop shop over a weekend or three and sweep the charge office or pick up ciggy butts at worst and once his community service is completed he will NOT have a criminal record recorded on the system.

Especially at "community courts" like in Hatfield the courts have been using this model for a long time. Young offenders take the community service option and they generally dont end up with a record.

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    Going to talk to a cop is not going to accomplish anything. An admission of guilt fine can only be paid when the cops (or metro) issue a fine. (And SAPS dont issue fines for speeding)

In this case the suspect was arrested for Reckless and negligent driving. That will be the main charge. He has exactly one option. To be in court on the day of trial.

That being said... IF he is a first time offender he would do good to aproach the state prosecutor in advance and state that he regrets his actions etc. and that he is willing to do community service etc to avoid a criminal record. (Mind you the possible criminal record would be a transgression of the Road traffic Act, not the Crimonal procedures act.)

Chances are if he is genuinly sorry and does not have a cocky attitude in front of the magistrate and offers out of his own to do something like community service he may probably end up having to report to a local cop shop over a weekend or three and sweep the charge office or pick up ciggy butts at worst and once his community service is completed he will NOT have a criminal record recorded on the system.

Especially at "community courts" like in Hatfield the courts have been using this model for a long time. Young offenders take the community service option and they generally dont end up with a record.
    This is the best advice so far.

What is referred to is technically called "Diversion".

Talk to the prosecutor beforehand.

Do not try to talk to the magistrate beforehand, unless you want to piss them off.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast