Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Cleaning with soap and water?

Recently I warched a video where the guy cleans his guns with soap and water.I never considered doing this, just seems wrong. Have you ever done it? Thoughts?

User

Default Re: Cleaning with soap and water?

Clean Green and hot water works wonders on muzzle loaders!
    For smokeless guns I would use something else, better designed to protect the metal. It would be difficult to dry out and remove all the water from semi-auto guns to prevent rust.
    Also, you do not have clean your gun 100% all the time. A lot of new shooters tend to "overclean" their guns.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

I do and always have done cleaning of my Glock frames, outside of barrels and recoil springs under a tap of running water with a toothbrush and soap. The slide assembly not so often as I don't want water in the firing pin, but when stripped completely I also flush those parts out. I work in sand and dust and there is nothing better to get the dust out of everything than soap and water. After cleaning I dry everyting with compressed air and lubricate again. A bit of gunoil on the recoil spring and barrel to slide areas and Copper Compound with a toothpick on the rails. My Glock have bathed with me multiple times every year.

All the manufacturers has claims to fame about coatings and polymers and Stainless etc. And I believe them. There is no chance that soap and water and drying afterwards can damage my modern pistols. Sweat and scratching "grinding paste" is a lot more damaging than soap and water can ever be.

If you use hot water, it evaporates pretty quickly.

However I have only used water on black-powder arms.

If you shoot your carry pistol it gets the stink off. Sunlight soap and a sponge. Unless you have acid sweat modern coatings are impervious to salty sweat. A bit of warm water and soap is nothing. Common sense applies as in don't leave water in firing pin channels etc.

User

You always get the smart ass who knows better

http://womenofcaliber.files.wordpres...dishwasher.jpg

During basic training we took a shower with our R1`s, kit and clothing many, many times.

User

My pocket money in basics came from cleaning R4s while guys were getting farked about and I was lazing about on permanent light duty. I set the thermostats on the geysers to max so by 8am the water was scorching. Stripped the rifles stuck them in the shower for 5 minutes on warm. Let them drip for a bit and then sprayed them down with preen and 15 mines later ran them under hot showers for 15 minutes or so. Worked like a bomb and pretty much the only hand work I needed to do was in the bores. Guys couldn't figure out how I was able to do it

I do on occasion for a new gun (used but new to me ) a lot of them are filthy so I strip them and use warm water with sunlight and a kitchen brittle like this big tooth brushes and also a toothbrush and go to town on them then use a hair dryer in cold and hot to dispel a lot if not all of the water then drown them in oil then clean up the oil but make sure they are devoid of any water by air and the. By oil to further ensure no moisture is left. I have been known to even bath my guns.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    My pocket money in basics came from cleaning R4s while guys were getting farked about and I was lazing about on permanent light duty. I set the thermostats on the geysers to max so by 8am the water was scorching. Stripped the rifles stuck them in the shower for 5 minutes on warm. Let them drip for a bit and then sprayed them down with preen and 15 mines later ran them under hot showers for 15 minutes or so. Worked like a bomb and pretty much the only hand work I needed to do was in the bores. Guys couldn't figure out how I was able to do it
    I took my R4 for many hot showers. One of the challenges was cleaning the gas piston. We normally kept them well covered with vaseline to ease that particular pain.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast