Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Browning HP issues

Bought a farely old BHP from a estate sale and I am experiencing some issues at the range. With Nobletec ammo the slide will lock to the back like the slide stop engages after every round. With S&B ammo this reduces to about 1 in 5 rounds and I am not comfortable with this as a backup EDC.

I guess I know the answer (try decent EDC ammo) but thought I would pick the brains of the knowledgeable on here.

Thanks in advance.

Picrute of said culprit:

WhatsApp Prent 2023-12-02 om 18.48.59_10a18734.jpg

User

Default Re: Browning HP issues

Perhaps stupid question, but are you not perhaps very slightly touching the slide lock lever (that happened to me on one of my pistols, easily solved by using a bigger backstrap, of course not an option in your case). Did you try it with another mag perhaps?
    I'd shoot it left hand only to see if it persists, but in any case I would disassemble the gun and inspect the slide lock mechanism for any crud or watookal that may cause it to stand slightly proud.

Hope you get it sorted, keep us posted.

User

If the recoil spring guide happens to have been put in upside down, the ball will not properly mate with the detent and you have problems. Hi Powers can be assembled this way even though incorrect, but usually there's some extra force required in doing so. If this has been done and the gun fired, there's a very good chance that the ring through which the slide stop shaft passes is cracked. If this has occurred, the recoil spring guide will need to be replaced.

User

S&B are generally considered HOT factory ammo.
    Maybe give the gun a very good clean and make sure you are not limp wristing.
    It could simply be that your batch of Nobletech is loaded very hot, which might explain that it works in your specific gun. Do you have access to a chrony? Maybe test the velocities both types of ammo.
    Alternatively the previous owner may have installed an aftermarket recoil spring which is stiffer than what it should be.

User

Check your grip on the gun when shooting it!

When you say it locks back "like" the slide stop engages, does that mean you can drop the slide using the slide stop button? If that is the case, then the problem is your grip.

User

The slide locks to the back and I can then return the slide into battery by depressing the slide stop lever. I guess I will start with my grip and go from there.
    I doubt if its limp wristing as this will have the opposite effect and prevent the slide from reloading the next round if I understand limp wristing correctly.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, will give feedback in a few weeks time when I get to the range again.

On the High power the slide stop lever extends forward of the pivot pin.
    A modern grip has you placing your left thumb right there, which can very easily cause the issue you are experiencing.

Try the older thumb-over thumb grip or even shoot it one-handed for confirmation.

User

Is the slide lock perhaps loose that it tends to jump into locking position with slide movement. Or perhaps bent slightly upwards so it connect too often with slide movement.

Have you check the magazine height/follower,. An empty magazine follower should push the slide stop to the top. An after market/modified magazine side might be a tad too high forcing the slide to engage with slide movement.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Quote Originally Posted by krieger View Post
    If the recoil spring guide happens to have been put in upside down, the ball will not properly mate with the detent and you have problems. Hi Powers can be assembled this way even though incorrect, but usually there's some extra force required in doing so. If this has been done and the gun fired, there's a very good chance that the ring through which the slide stop shaft passes is cracked. If this has occurred, the recoil spring guide will need to be replaced.
    This happens more often than people would admit to.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast