Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Do you think the 1911 is still a viable choice

I realise that this conversation is almost as prevalent on the errornet as the old 9x19 vs 45 debate. But I am curious at to whether you feel that the 1911 is still a viable self defence choice in SA circa 2009?

I was a huge fan of the system and carried one for years but I don't think I would carry one by choice again. In my experience their reliability is not on a par with more modern designs eg Sig H&K Glock etc and they are far more maintenance intensive. The capacity thing is an issue for me as well.

I don't feel one is completely unarmed with a decent 1911 and would far rather carry one than for example an ADP or a revolver but I do feel that there are far better choices available now.

Just curious what you lot think and whether we have any hard core 1911 fans lurking around the site.

Flame Suit on.

Default Re: Do you think the 1911 is still a viable choice

No. Shut up and sit down.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by SSP
    No. Shut up and sit down.
    LOL! happy0065
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

On a slightly more serious note. In the US where parts and, more importantly competent pistolsmiths, abound maybe. In SA I don't think so. Also when was the last time anyone saw a new 1911 for sale? I think there are some Taurus 1911's available. Thats it. They are, as you say, more maintenance intensive, they arent available with racing finishes like the primo euroblasters, they hold too few beans and have too many controls.

Having said that I have one and I like it.

I think that 1911's are like italian cars. They are objectively crap but you can't be a gun enthusiast unless you own one.

But for SD give me something European and double stack. Hey, now that I think about it there is something else that I like that way and it aint pancakes.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Perhaps the small slimmed-down compact versions?

But as far as the classic 1911A1 goes it will forever be a venerable classic, but with the Glock, H&K, Sig around I feel its outclassed. And with designs like the Ruger SR9 cramming a whole box of ammo into a grip the size of a toothpick 7+1 in a veritable steel brick just doesnt cut it. Again, I don't think it'll ever go away entirely...and I think that's a good thing.

The problem with Officer sized 1911's is their reliability issues. Some hardcore 1911 followers question even the Commander sized variants. I own a 1911 and have a love/hate relationship with it. Yes, it's fun to shoot occasionally, however, it makes me appreciate my Glocks a whole lot more after a day at the range. I think there are a number of 1911 drivers out there who would/could kick arse with their pistola's (all skills and mindset being equal), but it is definitely a finicky, high-maintenance machine. Yes, people point to a number of SWAT teams and SF units that still use them (US), but then again they have a different training doctrine compared to Joe Citizen. ABHM and IKOR feel free to correct me, I just don't believe that four SWAT or Delta guys with 1911's drawn can be compared to Joe Citizen having to react in a SD situation ie proactive vs reactive.
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BigT
    But I am curious at to whether you feel that the 1911 is still a viable self defence choice in SA circa 2009?
    Short answer, in SA, no.  As a house-gun, maaaaaaybe.  For EDC, no.  Too big.  Too heavy. Too cumbersome.  Too finicky.  Too prone to inexplicable stoppages.  Parts / springs need to be replaced with tiresome monotony.  Said parts aren't readily or cheaply available in SA.  Same for smithing to perform repairs or (inevitable) upgrades (I think the only original part on my 1911 is the slide and frame).  In summary, owning a 1911 is a ballache, carrying one is a backache and maintaining one is a headache!

SSP said it best, 1911's are like Italian cars.  They're cool, they're sexy and you always want one and then you get one and then you pull your hair out for the rest of your life trying to keep the thing running.  But, as SSP said, you can't be a gun enthusiast unless you own one!

I don't feel one is completely unarmed with a decent 1911 and would far rather carry one than for example a revolver
    That was a poorly disguised "dig" wasn't it?  >:(

what's EDC?

EDC = Every Day Carry ;)

Behind you, breaking out the KY... Or JHB

I don't feel one is completely unarmed with a decent 1911 and would far rather carry one than for example an ADP or a revolver...
    Don't agree. I would carry:
    1. G17 - Duh!
    2. Star BM - I know what it wants & does; familiarity.
    3. Properly maintained 1911 - New platform, unfamiliar.
    4. Revolver & speedloaders - Speed & capacity relegates this to #4.
    5. ASP - Can do harm at distance.
    6. Poorly maintained/'smithed 1911 - May turn into chunk of metal FAST.

MHO.
    Prone to random kindness, lecherous behaviour, imitating D-cups at speed and an outstanding sense of humour. If you don't agree, well fuck you.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast