Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default Re: Please assist with estinated value of a Ruger Redhawk in 44 Mag, 7.5 Inch barrel.

live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Default Re: Please assist with estinated value of a Ruger Redhawk in 44 Mag, 7.5 Inch barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    Tempting...
    I was at the one un 2016. Someone from the EC didn't bring his own gun for one of the events as he didn't know about it. I borrowed him mine so he could participate. Bastard took 1st place and I had to be satisfied with 2nd. I am not making that mistake again.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MSW2 View Post
    Tempting...
    I was at the one un 2016. Someone from the EC didn't bring his own gun for one of the events as he didn't know about it. I borrowed him mine so he could participate. Bastard took 1st place and I had to be satisfied with 2nd. I am not making that mistake again.
    No good deed ever goes unpunished.

There may have been a Redhawk that had its barrel adjusted or worked on but these were not an issue as such with the model or batch.
    Definitely a RH and no not just an adjustment. I knew the guy that repaired it.There were issues reported in the US from my reading. Apparently why the SRH has the strange long extended frame.This was apparently designed before they figured out the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    Definitely a RH and no not just an adjustment. I knew the guy that repaired it.There were issues reported in the US from my reading. Apparently why the SRH has the strange long extended frame.This was apparently designed before they figured out the cause.
    Was this a gunsmith on the KZN south coast ?

Did the barrel twist and the thread pitch unscrew the barrel?

Was this a gunsmith on the KZN south coast ?

Did the barrel twist and the thread pitch unscrew the barrel?
    It was around 30 odd years back so finer details missing. Remember they lost some barrel length as it had to be set back. Possible that it came loose and threads were damaged. Thought he fixed it as he had access to a machine shop but could be mistaken.

User

Blackhawk and not the Redhawk had those problems.
    There may have been a Redhawk that had its barrel adjusted or worked on but these were not an issue as such with the model or batch.
    I have never heard or read about a Blackhawk with this problem.

It was common on early production Redhawks, especially those with higher round counts.

I actually own a RH that I bought with a broken barrel. Fixed it by having the remaining part of the barrel shortened and threaded. Makes a decent snubby...

According to the book "Ruger and his guns" by RL Wilson, which has detailed historical data on all Ruger products up to publication date, there was a problem with early production (+/-1980) Redhawk barrels breaking off where the thread starts. Frames were usually not damaged. This was caused by the anti-seize compound they applied to the thread when installing the barrel to the frame. Anti-seize compound was only required on stainless guns, so the Blackhawk was not affected at the time. The compound sat in there corroding the steel, and after a few years and lots of shooting, it would induce a stress fracture. The problem was solved by changing the compound, but it took them a few years to identify the cause. In the US, Ruger will replace any broken barrel free of charge.

A used standard Redhawk should be worth from R8k up to R12k now, depending on condition.
    7.5" stainless models are the most prolific in SA.
    5.5" and blued models are somewhat scarce.
    7.5" with scope mount scallops on the barrel rib are also not very common.
    Super Redhawks in 7.5" and 9.5" are not uncommon, but fetch higher prices. They all came with Ruger 1" scope rings and the scallops on the frame.

Tx A-R.

Two of the guys I used to shoot silhouettes with had Blackhawks that needed work to be done that entailed removing the barrel and then repositioning them tighter. The exact details of the fix I did not pay attention. Although I loved the way the Blackhawk shot the chances of me having to have gunsmithing done put me off from getting one.

Now that I have read your post, I hope that I do not manifest the issues for my RH.
    Last edited by KK20; 09-12-2023 at 02:31.

User

Tx A-R.

Two of the guys I used to shoot silhouettes with had Blackhawks that needed work to be done that entailed removing the barrel and then repositioning them tighter. The exact details of the fix I did not pay attention. Although I loved the way the Blackhawk shot the chances of me having to have gunsmithing done put me off from getting one.

Now that I have read your post, I hope that I do not manifest the issues for my RH.
    You should be able to trace the manufacturing date of your RH from the serial number. If it was made from around 1986, it should be problem free.

If you have an early model and you do manage to break it, it can be repaired to a most shootable condition, although a bit shorter. Ruger will send you a replacement barrel free of charge. It is just an issue to get it into the country. When I tried, the then agents were not helpful...

Where is the box and original set of grips?
    I will ask him.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast