Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default Re: France Hunting Season 2023/2024

Quote Originally Posted by Methos View Post
    Not really ;) 90% of my hunts are within 25km of my house. Before we moved it was within 10km of my house. I hunt crows and pigeons as well in our new village. Some mornings I drop my daughter off at her high school, drive 800m and setup my decoys and shoot till 10min before work starts, pick up my decoys and get home in time for work. She can hear my shots in her class. France is different from SA ;)
    What a life!
    Thank you for sharing.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

We've finished our driven hunt season - 17 hunts, €850, 3 shots fired and 1 boar for me. Not great. Hope next season is better.

On Saturday it was freezing. _5 when the hunt started. Only saw one boar at around 600m.

On Monday and Tuesday it was warm again - went crow shooting in lunch time. I bought a cheap chinese sports cam that I clamped to the shotgun. Here is a short video. I'm still learning how to film with it.

That pinkinsh building in the background is my daughters high school.

Regards

User

Yesterday I was invited to hunt in an area known as Roquemartine It is about 20min from my house. Hunted here once a few years ago but didn't get anything. The land is rented from old "royal" family. Their surname is Beq de lièvre. Harelip

The guy who invited me is Christian from my usual hunt. I have been on 22 hunts this season including yesterday and only shot one boar and saw 2 other boars, not a great season…

We met at 7:15, had breakfast and signed the hunting book. I was then sent into the mountain with a guy, and he showed me my post and explained where I could shoot, where pigs could possibly pass etc. Bakkies drove past me to get everybody to their posts and the trackers came past with the dogs.

The wind was howling and rather cold as well and since I’m an eternal optimist, I thought spring was coming so went with normal pants without the big jacket as well. I heard a branch break in front of me, looked around frantically but nothing moved. Then 5 min later again.

Then a tracker came by with his bakkie and I told him. He then turned around and parked at the top of the ridge then came down from the other side with a dog. I expected to shoot far do scope was at 4. Then suddenly it rustled right in front of me. About 5 m from me. See the troop coming and aimed at the first one, saw a big black mass, shot went a bit high, through the back, but she fell. The others then ran to the left.

Then the one got up and crawled down the hill. Went after her to finish. Almost pressed the rifle to her head and click. Short stroked the 308 again. When the shot went off one jumped up not 5m away from me and ran back into hunting area. Couldn’t shoot because it was just too fast.

As I walk back to my post and another three jumped up run past less than 5m from me, but I couldn't shoot because trackers were behind.

The boars must have been within 15m of me since I got here.
    At the end of the hunt, we dragged her 20 m downhill into the road and loaded her up. I guesstimated 80KGs. Back at the clubhouse we weighed her, 78kg. In total 6boars were shot. Got home with a nice back leg that will be made into potjie.

Happy to end the season this way at least!

User

Found some wolf poop as well

Sent from my 21091116UG using Tapatalk

User

Congrats on a fine finish. Looks beautiful there and with not too much squinting and imagination you could place the pics in some parts of SA.

User

I always love reading your pig hunting stories. Well done on a successful hunt.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

User

Waidmannsheil!

Awesome Methos!

Awsome.

Thank you for sharing. I am currently in Amboise and will be returning occasionally.

I enquired at the local gun shop regarding hunting in this area and was very exited when she confirmed that indeed there is good hunting for Stagg, boar, ducks and rabbit.

Next I asked about an outfitter or guid but apparently I must be part of a group. I think that something went missing in translation.

Can you recommend someone?

Is it possible?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyknocker View Post
    Awsome.

Thank you for sharing. I am currently in Amboise and will be returning occasionally.

I enquired at the local gun shop regarding hunting in this area and was very exited when she confirmed that indeed there is good hunting for Stagg, boar, ducks and rabbit.

Next I asked about an outfitter or guid but apparently I must be part of a group. I think that something went missing in translation.

Can you recommend someone?

Is it possible?

Hi Tommy

To hunt in France you will need a valid hunting permit that needs to be paid for every year. You can pass the French Exam or if you want to try it you can take out a Freestate Hunting licence that will cost you around R100 and then you can ask for it to be converted into a French Licence. Saves you the trouble of passing the licence in French and all that.

As for hunting - you need to be a member of a Hunting club. You need to apply for it in the area that you live. Ask at the Mairie for their details. If you want to hunt in an area that you don't live - for example me - who doesn't live where I hunt - although only 20 km I need to apply each year to be an actionaire - stakeholder and that costs quite a bit more. You need special permission to hunt alone for the most part. So that is why they told you about belonging to a group.

There are hunting outfitters in France but they cost a bit of money of course.

If you need more info - I run a Facebook group called Hunting in France on FB. Join us there if you have any questions.

Regards

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2