Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: INTREGRAL SILENCE RIFLE

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    Shared a shooting range with a Blaser once that was integrally suppressed. To my ear it was no quieter than my rifle.
    The crack from the bullet is the same but the silencer on fast calibers is not made to silence that, only the gas crack.

I know the following sounds silly but I heard a 223 through a silencer a few days ago. Shooting in to a tree at 5m something didn't sound right. I have no clue if it was my imagination but it was too soft, almost as if the bullet did not have enough time to crack...ridiculous yes, but try it.
    The difference, at short distance, with and without silencer seemed to differ greatly.

The sonic boom heard by the shooter is the sound of the shock-waves caused in the air by the passing of tye bullet bouncing of near-by objects reflecting back to the shooter. So it makes complete sense.
    You also won't hear the sonic crack if you shoot upwards at a steep angle.

If you want silence, you have to shoot subsonic.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    The crack from the bullet is the same but the silencer on fast calibers is not made to silence that, only the gas crack.

I know the following sounds silly but I heard a 223 through a silencer a few days ago. Shooting in to a tree at 5m something didn't sound right. I have no clue if it was my imagination but it was too soft, almost as if the bullet did not have enough time to crack...ridiculous yes, but try it.
    The difference, at short distance, with and without silencer seemed to differ greatly.
    I should have been more clear. :) I had a QD suppressor on my rifle as well. He were both shooting 30-06. I could not tell the difference between my QD light weight can over his integrally suppressed rifle. He was shooting Geco 165gr factory loads, I was shooting home loaded Barnes 150gr at 2900fps.

Integral suppressors are not supposed to be inherently quieter than normal ones.

The primary advantage is shorter over-all lenght and thus better handling.

However, it is easy to give them more volume which often result in better performance, but this improvement will not be evident over a sonic boom if supersonic ammo is used.

It's not some sort of silver bullet, just a design choice with inherent advantages and disadvantages. I personally like them but have never quite gotten to the point of spending money on one.

Educate me here because I have never seen the inside of an integral silencer. For it to work the integral silencer will either have to extend past the muzzle of the rifle/pistol, very much like a reflex suppressor, or there will be ports cut directly into the barrel or a combination of these two methods?

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Educate me here because I have never seen the inside of an integral silencer. For it to work the integral silencer will either have to extend past the muzzle of the rifle/pistol, very much like a reflex suppressor, or there will be ports cut directly into the barrel or a combination of these two methods?
    The Delisle Carbine and the Silent Destroyer that it inspired have ports in the barrel from just after the chamber that vent into the body of the can. I believe that the integrally suppressed version of the MP5 is done the same way. Apparently if you get them right they make any ammo subsonic and thereby eliminate the supersonic crack.

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    The Delisle Carbine and the Silent Destroyer that it inspired have ports in the barrel from just after the chamber that vent into the body of the can. I believe that the integrally suppressed version of the MP5 is done the same way. Apparently if you get them right they make any ammo subsonic and thereby eliminate the supersonic crack.
    The MP5SD is pretty much the only gun that I have shot that pretty much sounds like it does in movies.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Most integral suppressors have both barrel ports (either close to the chamber or something similar to a muzzle brake or both) and extend past the end of the muzzle.

However, I saw a video the other day (on Forgotten Weapons) of one the doesn't extend past the muzzle and relies solely on ports in the barrel. Can't think it would be as effective as one that has some sort of baffle stack in front of thr muzzle.

Regarding the DeLisle, I thought they specifically made that in .45ACP so that reducing the velocity wasn't necessary?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Heath Robinson View Post
    Regarding the DeLisle, I thought they specifically made that in .45ACP so that reducing the velocity wasn't necessary?
    That's what I understand too. The suppressed MP5 is the one that is vented to hell so that supersonic ammo comes in below the speed of sound when fired through it.

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    That's what I understand too. The suppressed MP5 is the one that is vented to hell so that supersonic ammo comes in below the speed of sound when fired through it.
    The Sterling I mentioned earlier was also vented close to the chamber in order to reduce velocity. I believe the silenced versions of the Sten were too.

These are really quiet by any measure but because of action noise they will never beat a manually-operated weapon's potential.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast