Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Weak Magazine Spring

I have a rifle built on a Montana Action and on my last hunt the bolt failed to pick up a round when I reloaded. Its the fist time it has happened and its the same ammo I have been using for years.

Is there anything you can do to strengthen a magazine spring or is this something for a gunsmith?

Thanks

Default Re: Weak Magazine Spring

Just stretch it. Pay careful attention that once assembled the rounds are pushed up against the feed lips along the entire length.

Be careful not to over-do it.

It may be that this will only help for a while, in which case the spring would need to be re-heat-treated.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath Robinson View Post
    Just stretch it. Pay careful attention that once assembled the rounds are pushed up against the feed lips along the entire length.

Be careful not to over-do it.

It may be that this will only help for a while, in which case the spring would need to be re-heat-treated.

Thank you

User

I have found that a stretched spring has got a tendency to revert back to the its size before the strech. Can you take i to a spring manufacturing place they might be able to wind you a new one? Try Vaal Springs in Vereeniging they were quite helpfull a couple of years ago. Maybe the can tell you how to revive your old spring.

User

The stretch thing is a temp fix in my experience but it has always worked for me on pistol mags especially when I had few of them, less money and shot a lot of matches. Depending on where the OP is, WEBLOR in Edenvale may be able to help with making a replacement.

User

Advice from our local spring manufacturer in PE was to stretch it and then 5 min at 180degC in oven for metal to reset. No idea how effective that is though.
    Will be applying it to a firing pin spring on P14 for 10 min.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    Advice from our local spring manufacturer in PE was to stretch it and then 5 min at 180degC in oven for metal to reset. No idea how effective that is though.
    I have half a shopping bag of used springs that I've not thrown away. Will dig so pistol mags springs out and give that a try.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    Fast or slow cooling?

As a boy and not knowing very much I tried to get the spring in a pellet gun back up to standard. I ended up with a lot of little springs :)

User

Air cooled the guy said.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MSW2 View Post
    Fast or slow cooling?

As a boy and not knowing very much I tried to get the spring in a pellet gun back up to standard. I ended up with a lot of little springs :)
    Haha. Hope were wearing safety glasses. Who ever did that years ago?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast