Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: What happens IF the ANC does not get re-elected

I tried to explain to my children the difference between patronage and policy in politics. To demonstrate my point, I went to the MK website, and found only a membership pay portal, and not a single party policy document. So MK scores 100% for patronage and 0% for policy. This is amazing that such a thing could even exist in this day and age of a modern democracy, and shows that our democracy is very immature.

With such an immature democracy, and a state that seems to rely more and more on patronage networks, and less on policy, it is very difficult to predict what will happen in a world of patronage networks.

Like trying to predict who will be friends in a grade 1 class room.

User

Scary thing is latest poll shows EFF climbing to above DA

Looks like an ANC/EFF coalition to finish SA off at the moment

Look how well the two of them have managed to run Ethekweni

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sean KZN View Post
    I don't know about those voting figures. JZ's crowd had a rally last weekend down here, with a drive through town. They almost filled a bus to capacity, a minibus.
    Most were drivers, security and cooks.

No adoring crowds came out to line the streets, but the small rent a crowd must have had a ball. I heard about 50 people turned up.
    He is going to clean up rural KZN, where he has a big influence
    Suburbia and metros will be split in KZN
    IFP and DA could take KZN, but EFF is gaining with youth voters

User

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    I hear reports that JZ's MK Party has done well in a recent by-election in KZN. Report didn't say what "done well" means but I can't imagine that it means less than 10%. Dunno what percentage of the national vote KZN accounts for, but Gauteng & KZN together account for 44%. The fact that JZ is taking ANC votes will force the ANC to rely more on coalition partners. We all know that coalitions have been shambolic, but my sense of it is that we should think in terms of how to deal with the core of a problem (not only in politics) and worry about the side issues afterwards. I therefore tend to think that MK taking ANC votes is a good thing even if I don't like JZ and his supporters.

I think I saw this stat too, but apparently the ANC and DA did not contest that election, which skews the result a bit. But any votes not going to the ANC or EFF is a win in my book.

User

I don't think that we have in this part of the world really counts as democracy in the way that a native of europe might think of it. Something around half of all eligible voters can't read for meaning and succession planning in the governing parties biggest province is done by hit men who kill 50+ councillors a year to make space for new blood. Policy and performance against promises don't feature in electoral decisions as most voters are much more switched on by signature songs, nifty dance moves and the size of their big man's security posse.

User

South africa is like a boat drifting around in the ocean currents without a crew or captain, you know it drifts, does not just sink magically, nor does it drift indefinitely.

After several years of storms and rust and no maintenance no new crew or captain will save it, it’s beyond repair.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    South africa is like a boat drifting around in the ocean currents without a crew or captain . . . .
    . . . and a gang of scrappers down below busy cutting it up for cash as fast as they can.

User

I think we are still trying to apply the principles of democracy, on a group of people where their culture doesn't understand/want to understand what democracy is about. Eish

User

The only reason South Africa exists at all, is thanks to a pretty aggressive private sector and very small tax base.

How long that can continue is anyone's

In the words of a Malawian national in our factory complex, South Africa will only learn when starvation sets in, and he has a point
    Most of South Africa, doesn't actually know what true African collapse is, people haven't traveled.

My own staff couldn't believe that taxis in Mozambique (Prior to the new freeway) were 4x4, due to the simple lack of roads to the Kosi bay border

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    I think we are still trying to apply the principles of democracy, on a group of people where their culture doesn't understand/want to understand what democracy is about. Eish
    Democracy is an alien concept to Africa. People don't get it.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast