Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: What happens IF the ANC does not get re-elected

I'm actually surprised by the maturity of the ANC at this time.
    Really, I did not think they would work this way.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shark_za View Post
    Same here. The cynic in me says to give them time though. When and if the patronage funnels come under real threat they may very well revert to type. It's been a one way street for them for 30 years so they may not actually have come to grips with what this could mean to their pockets. The way that they kill councillors in KZN at a rate of 50 or so a year suggests that they are perfectly capable of going lethal to protect their places at the trough.

What a surprise. Hope the DA dont join the trough.
    As things stand let's hope the light at the end of the tunnel is not a train.

User

While I'm as pessimistic and cynical about the state of our politicians and politics as the next guy, I do have some left field musings about how perhaps the current mess may have a silver-lining

The status quo is:
    - Rampie serves at the behest of the ANC, NOT the masses
    - The ANC have a chronic gravy addiction
    - Pandering to the masses (aka populism) is the chosen philosophy by which the ANC governs
    - EFF and MK are the black sheep of the governing class. But if/when piush really comes to shove and gravy allocations to all the elite are truly threatened, then the prodigal sons will be looked after by the ANC (see comment on populism above)

So where does this leave Ramaphosa and how does the current election outcome potentially serve him?
    1. If the ANC had won a majority, I think Ramaphosa would have been kicked to touch for the next 'chosen one'. In technical political parlance, he's been a f*cking moron while in charge and the whole NEC knows that. But the ANC taking a battering at the elections probably means that the NEC cannot boot Ramaphosa because the next chosen one is likely to be utterly unpalatable to coalition/GNU partners (Mashatile/Mantashe et al). So Rampie stays...for now
    2. The obligation to form a coalition means Ramaphosa/NEC has to share gravy with other parties in the form of plum positions at the trough (ministries etc) and thus not all the ANC cadres can be given a place - Ramaphosa can clean house tacitly without rocking the populism boat.
    3. Similarly with the EFF and MK - a majority coalition can be formed without them, which outwardedly impresses the watching global community that the radical elements have been kept away from anything important and quietly puts the black sheep in their place without denouncing them publicly. The ANC will be well-aware that they may need the lunatic fringe in future should/if a crowd like the DA should supercede the ANC at the ballots so they don't wish to destroy them.
    4. Cadre deployment now slows, ostensibly because the coalition partners make this a condition of their participation but actually it suits Rama-poser and the NEC because they all realise that the gravy has been splashed around too excessively and this way they can bring their gluttons to heel subtly while leaving the populism charter intact.
    5. Some of the economic/fiscal medicine that our economy badly needs can now be force-fed and the ANC can point at the coalition partners when the masses squeal.

Perhaps wishful thinking but maybe we'll see some positives emerge

Seems they are a little skittish for the Presidential Ingurgitation
    They have closed all the airspace around Pretoria and Johannesburg on Tuesday and Wednesday for everything except military, police and commercial flights.

These are bigger closures than we even had during the world cup

Many businesses at Wonderboom, Lanseria and Grand Central airports are grounded for the 2 days

User

Quote Originally Posted by Mark357 View Post
    Seems they are a little skittish for the Presidential Ingurgitation
    They have closed all the airspace around Pretoria and Johannesburg on Tuesday and Wednesday for everything except military, police and commercial flights.

These are bigger closures than we even had during the world cup

Many businesses at Wonderboom, Lanseria and Grand Central airports are grounded for the 2 days
    Probably the only chance for anyone current on a Gripen or a Hawk to get some actual flight time, by drilling holes in the sky above Pretoria, so perhaps one should grant them that... afterwards they'll be back to flying desks, while you get to slip the surly bonds for another 363 days

Quote Originally Posted by wrm View Post
    I think people would want an independent Western Cape with the DA in charge, not an independent Western Cape with CapeXit in charge. It should have been obvious to CapeXit that they're not going to accomplish their goals by winning the election.
    You obviously haven't been reading anything CapeXit has published. CapeXit isn't a party and has never stood for or intended to be elected. It is an advocacy group which encourages voters to vote for independence supporting parties, and to vote yes in a referendum if we ever get one. The purpose of the Referendum Party was to give the voters DA government while forcing it to referendum. The 840K people who signed on to CapeXit did so specifically to support independence - that was the deal. The idea is first get independence then elect a government, which would undoubtedly be the DA. The DA knows that perfectly well but wants the whole country even if it can never get more than limited control. I reckon the WC voters didn't understand the purpose of the Referendum Party - too complicated for them, so they chose half the loaf.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shark_za View Post
    The ANC and EFF as parties have been broke for a while, makes me wonder if the DA pulled out a big credit card during those negotiations.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    The ANC and EFF as parties have been broke for a while, makes me wonder if the DA pulled out a big credit card during those negotiations.
    At least around my parts they both seemed very flush with electioneering funds.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    At least around my parts they both seemed very flush with electioneering funds.
    A lot of pre & post election fundraising was done.
    It is quite well documented, if you just Google CIT heist, there are pictures and everything.

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast