Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Right Handed Left Eye Dominance

Quote Originally Posted by Welshman View Post
    This includes working the bolt on a rifle with my right hand (support hand), while the trigger hand repositions slightly in between shots to temporarily support weight of rifle.
    That's how i roll.

User

I'm left handed but right eye dominant, courtesy of a torn retina making me legally blind in my left eye 30% vision). Not a problem with handguns but with rifles and shotguns I'm obligated to shoot right handed.

User

I am right handed but left eye dominant. For handgun I use both eyes open, or left eye, this I started doing a couple of years back when I found out. For my rifles I use my right eye, haven’t had any issues with scope on. Found it awkward to shoot left handed with rifle so stuck with the way I was used to.

Im the same. Right handed Left eye dominant.

Handgun I shoot Right Handed. But move pistol little over to left side. Where needed close Right Eye.

Scoped rifle easy as I any case close my left eye to shoot.

ClayPigeon I shoot Right handed and leave both eyes open when I call bird. As I follow clay I will close left eye just before pulling trigger.

User

@DaavG, Greetings out of curiosity, your son being very young and inexperienced, wouldn't it be possible to "train" him to be right eye dominant ? Or is it simply something that cannot be changed?

User

I am also right hand - left eye dominant. I don't think foot dominance is important at all.

I was taught to shoot right handed, aiming with my right eye. To accomplish this, I need to close my left eye with open sights. With red dot type sights, I can shoot with both eyes open.

My solution is to place a small patch of the translucent sellotape on the left lens of my shooting glasses. This allows me to keep both eyes open and enjoy full peripheral vision, but blurrs out the target for my left eye. This works pretty well with handguns and shotguns.

With scoped rifles, I can shoot with both eyes open, no issue. The magnification difference helps to prevent confusion.

If I were to start shooting again, I would try to learn shooting all guns from both shoulders and aiming with the corresponding eye. The aim would be to be fully ambidextrous and be able to change hands or shoulders without sacrificing ability.

My suggestion is to let the youngster shoot from both sides with the Daisy and all bigger guns from the start. Even if one side is favoured with one type of gun, another type may just work better from the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    My suggestion is to let the youngster shoot from both sides with the Daisy and all bigger guns from the start. Even if one side is favoured with one type of gun, another type may just work better from the other side.
    I think this is good advice.
    The ability to shoot either side might come in very handy some day.

User

My grandfather lost his right eye and switched to shooting his airgun right-handed off his left shoulder. This was years ago when you could still get away at shooting the rose beetles out of the trees in your garden.

User

Been very interesting to hear how common this seems to be and how people handle it. I think I will go the route of A-R's suggestion and just get him to use both sides for the time being and see how that progresses.

Been harping that route with his feet for football and rugby kicking so makes sense.

Thank you all, I really appreciate the feedback and suggestions.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Branden88 View Post
    @DaavG, Greetings out of curiosity, your son being very young and inexperienced, wouldn't it be possible to "train" him to be right eye dominant ? Or is it simply something that cannot be changed?
    Hi Branden, good question and I don't know the answer to be honest. I was going to patch his left eye and see how that went but now I think I'm going to get him to shoot both sides and go from there.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast