Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default 7mm Rem Mag - Springbok hunting

Hi guys, we going to the flats for our annual hunting trip this year. We getting some good packages for Springbok. I hunt with a 7mm Rem Mag but i'm a bit scared that it might be an over kill for the Springbok. I normally use 173gr Sellier & Bellot rounds in my rifle but thinking that I need a lighter bullet? I'm not handloading so need to buy ammo. Any advise?

Default Re: 7mm Rem Mag - Springbok hunting

There really is no such thing as overkill. If your rifle is accurate with the 173gr bullets and if you are familiar with the trajectory, it might be a good idea to stick with them. If you are going to use conventional bullets (like S&B) a heavier, slower bullet will actually cause less meat damage than a lighter faster one.

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    There really is no such thing as overkill. If your rifle is accurate with the 173gr bullets and if you are familiar with the trajectory, it might be a good idea to stick with them. If you are going to use conventional bullets (like S&B) a heavier, slower bullet will actually cause less meat damage than a lighter faster one.
    This
    But a lighter bullet will result in a flatter trajectory for the first 3-400m.
    If you don't have and use a rangefinder, and if you haven't tested your ammo out to whatever ranges you intend to shoot at, and taken whatever steps you need to ensure you have a good handle on bullet drop, and if you are expecting to need to shoot past 200m, then lighter bullets might be prudent. Or just taking the relevant steps to rectify the above deficiencies with your current load.

User

That ammo is loaded slow, and the poor BC makes it slow down even faster, at 200m you are allready below 2300ft/s, overkill won't be an issue.
    The biggest issue with springbok hunting in my opinion is hitting them, they are small critters and they like the open plains, those that don't hunt them very regularly struggle to estimate distances on them, and those that does buy range finders struggle to compensate properly even if ranged.
    And then they like to move, you don't want want to know how many times I've almost pulled the trigger only for the animal to move.

So gun + ammo good, just make sure of shot placement, don't go for fancy heart shots or headshots or stuff, just put it in the boiler room, most people don't eat meat around those areas in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    That ammo is loaded slow, and the poor BC makes it slow down even faster, at 200m you are allready below 2300ft/s, overkill won't be an issue.
    The biggest issue with springbok hunting in my opinion is hitting them, they are small critters and they like the open plains, those that don't hunt them very regularly struggle to estimate distances on them, and those that does buy range finders struggle to compensate properly even if ranged.
    And then they like to move, you don't want want to know how many times I've almost pulled the trigger only for the animal to move.

So gun + ammo good, just make sure of shot placement, don't go for fancy heart shots or headshots or stuff, just put it in the boiler room, most people don't eat meat around those areas in any case.
    This is where FFP scopes makes a lot of sense, once you have worked out the drop for your bullets on a ballistics app and/ or practiced shooting targets at longer distances you don't need to worry about the zoom settings. Just zoom to the required distance or needed field of view and shoot on your known mil compensation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Springbuck is my favorite game animal and I have shot many over the past 50 years or longer all over Namibië and the Northern Cape etc. It very much depends on the terrain that you hunting in and the method. You mentioned the flats. From that I assume the following:

1. It could be a “voorsit” or driven hunt, that being the case shorts will mostly not exceed 200m and you can stay with the ammo you have.
    2. Else it will be a bakkie hunt. Now Springbuck are very evasive when hunted by vehicle. Shots mostly exceed 200m and you need to shoot vast, there is no time for ranging a target. Normally you will have about 3 seconds to shoot. If this method is used I propose that you sight your rifle to zero at 250m and use lighter bullets with a good BC like 150gr Spitser Boattail.
    3. More import is that you practice to hid a 140x140mm (or smaller) gong at 300m, every shot.

General advice, shoot behind the shoulder and NOT on the shoulder else you will only have the hind quarter left.
    Contact the farmer and ask for his advice before you go and buy ammo.
    Enjoy your hunt, there is no beter venison that Springbuck

User

Thanks so much for the info, its really appreciated. We doing a voorsit jag. The farmer said average shots is about 200m. Think im going to stay with my current round as I know what they do in my rifle.

User

The best advice, is to lie flat on the ground and use a bipod. No sitting behind bushes or anything, because they will see you!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    The best advice, is to lie flat on the ground and use a bipod. No sitting behind bushes or anything, because they will see you!
    Been told this by a few people who do it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    Best method by far, but only works if your position is a bit elevated above the surrounding vegetation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast